• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brand ATF and other questions?

Tom Campbell

NAXJA Forum User
Usualy I use havoline mercron dexron 3 but this last time I went to advanced auto parts they only had a case of their own label brand. The guy said it was made by havoline. The bottle looked similar and the box said "compare to havoline". Eh so anywyas I picked it up because its what they had in a box and I need to change my fluid as I burnt it about a month ago. (I know I know) I will tackle it next weekend along with the tranny cooler I suppose. Is this stuff ok to use? Is it all the same with ATF? Does anyone know if this is really havoline?

I may also pop down the pan...
I have a new screen but will keep the old one if it looks good. Can I just throw that in the parts cleaner?

Also with the cooler, My tranny will run pretty cool most of the time but I needed the cooler for when it doesnt. There is a thermostat but I was wondering, wil that hurt the transmission when its closed and not let fluid out of the converter? Or is it always open a little bit?
thanks!

Tom, the Advance Auto ATF is more than likely Havoline, since that printing is on the case. Even if it isn't, it's safe to use since all Mercon/Dexron III is formulated to the same specs.

I'm not sure about your thermostatic controlled oil cooler. It probably has a bypass built in, so as to divert the flow around the cooler when it's cold.........?

Not really sure about the various qualities of ATF. Could be 'you get what you pay for' with that too. Not sure this is an occasion to experiment with lesser cost lubes. Don't normally use store labels with that.

Also not quite sure what you were meaning with the thermostat and the lube in the converter. Is not possible to drain the conv. without a plug specifically on that. All that will drop is what is in the main portion of the trans. Not familiar with a 'stat associated with a trans cooler. Is not normally necessary or used.

I had problems with the transmission after I put in Mobil 1 ATF. I found a Tech service bulliten which said to make sure there is a Dextron certificaiton number on the bottle. I looked at the bottle no number, but said it meet or exceeded Dextron standards. I wonder if exceeding was a "good" thing in my case.

I ended up at my dealership and had the ATF transfusion done. The disconnected the oil cooler line, and connected their machine to it. They pumped fluid at the same rate it was pumped out. I got all new Dextron and it has had no problems since.

I had a transfusion done at my local 30 min place and the manager told me they use the same ATF base oil on all vehicles and then add the Dextron addatives. I am not very thrilled with mixing in addatives to ATF fluid just before it goes into my car.

I know at my dealer the mechanic got out 12 quarts of Dextron in bottles and put it in the machine.

I have found the transfusion can fix a lot of problems with a transmission, my advice is go to a place that uses Dextron in bottles, avoid a place that "mixes their own".

12 quarts??? im in the process of changing mine right now but 12 quarts seems like a lot. anybody know how many in a aw4?

The 12 quarts was a result of getting it out of the converter which you can't do just by dropping the pan.
I've often wondered if you detached the tranny cooler lines and ran one into a 5 gallon bucket of new and a 5 gallon bucket of empty if that would get all the old stuff out. Mostly curious as I've never really owned an auto cept for my falcon and my dodge van, everything else has been sticks by preference.

That's a good way for a complete change, Rich, except that you have to pour in the ATF at the same rate that it is being pumped out the cooler line. There is no suction on the return line, therefore you can't pull it out of a bucket.

It's not possible to pour new fluid in at the same rate that it's being pumped out, so you will probably have to pump out a couple quarts, cut off the engine, then pour in a couple fresh quarts. You keep doing this until the cooler line starts to run a brighter red.

Be careful if you use this method. You don't want to run the transmission pump dry.

Tom Campbell said:

I may also pop down the pan...
I have a new screen but will keep the old one if it looks good. Can I just throw that in the parts cleaner?
I've heard that you should always replace the filter with a new one and not re-use or clean an old one.

Back