• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what would you buy?

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
i got a 90 XJ 4.5" rough country lift, 35" BFG at's, rock rails and gutted the interior other than the dash and 2 front seats. i am going to be getting about 5-8thousand dollars here soon for a accident i was in. and i am going to put all the money in my cherokee. so i want a whole new lift and pretty much build it up good. i was looking at the TNT customs y-link and im gonna get that and through the short arm away or sell very cheap. anyways i just want to build a beast any suggestions?

oh yea all gearing and steering is all stock so please anyone with lots of knowledge lend me a hand in what to purchase.

I would get dana 44's front and rear with your desired gear and locker and then put in a 4.1 transfer case. IMO a good solid drive train is more important than a fancy lift specialy when you already have a lift.

if you have an opertunity I would through a D60 in the rear D44 in front along with gears and lockers like jeepme said, also I would go with the TNT customs Y link and then I would get some new meats (not a big fan of BFG A/T's) after that build a cage or exo then if you still want to spend money ditch the Rough Country stuff and get some RE or Rock Krawler stuff...

My .02...

I'd buy some metal fabbing tools and a welding class.
Then build a a pair of full width axles with the lift and steering you decide on and run rims large enough to clear your knucles (16.5-18?) and pull the tires in as far as possible.

show me how to post a pic on here and ill show you how i put 35" on a 4.5" lift

I know where you can put ~40 dollars to help a great site.

image location can be had by right clicking a image on a webage and copying the image location

Buy a YJ
(did I say that out loud?):gag:

they would only be better because of the frame. my heart still falls for the XJ every time. stiffeners, rockrails, tie in bumpers, almost the same!

91 Jeep Project said:
If my XJ didn't serve as a DD, I probably wouldn't have it.............:shocked:
x2, i love driving mine around town, but still hitting some trails when i have to. it also has made some road trips in the past.

skyjackedxj96 said:
stiffeners, rockrails, tie in bumpers, almost the same!
And lots of body panels to destroy

...if your XJ wasn't your DD you probably wouldn't have it......
:dunno:
I bought mine for DD type work...but I don't need it as a DD...thats what makes it great. If I beat the snot out of it and it won't make it to work on monday,...not a problem...I could own whatever four-by I wanted...I want my XJ....call me sick (join the crowd)....but the XJ works for me....
Rick R

Smittty9785 said:
i got a 90 XJ 4.5" rough country lift, 35" BFG at's, rock rails and gutted the interior other than the dash and 2 front seats. i am going to be getting about 5-8thousand dollars here soon for a accident i was in. and i am going to put all the money in my cherokee. so i want a whole new lift and pretty much build it up good. i was looking at the TNT customs y-link and im gonna get that and through the short arm away or sell very cheap. anyways i just want to build a beast any suggestions?
my brother is going to build up and xj what will you be diong with the old lift? what kind is it?

i didn't mean i don't want it. I HAVE to drive my XJ everyday or ill feel a feeling of anxiety and restlessness. I would never make it a strictly trail rig because of this. plus its my only rig right now as the wrangler needs a nv4500 to mate with the stroked 350

Back