• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing question...problem?

Rattman

NAXJA Forum User
I just had my gears changed in my Dana 30. I went from 3.07s to 3.73s. A Dana 30 is supposed to have a case break at 3.73. The mechanic used the 3.07 case with the 3.73’s also the 3.07s fit on the 3.73 and taller case that I bought. Am I missing something? All parts used were genuine dana spicer.

That is what I thought. So does that mean my diff is set up wrong? Why did the 3.73s fit on the same carrier that had 3.07's? It seems to work fine. I will have to do some off pavement testing tonight.

Does your mechanic set up gears often? If not, I'm betting he just tried to use mad shims to move tha case over as much as possible, and then just called it good. It is not possible to get a good gear setup with high ratio gears installed on low ratio case, or vice versa.

CRASH said:
Does your mechanic set up gears often? If not, I'm betting he just tried to use mad shims to move tha case over as much as possible, and then just called it good. It is not possible to get a good gear setup with high ratio gears installed on low ratio case, or vice versa.

I would like to see a pic with the cover pulled.......

Rattman said:
That is what I thought. So does that mean my diff is set up wrong? Why did the 3.73s fit on the same carrier that had 3.07's? It seems to work fine. I will have to do some off pavement testing tonight.

The gears will fit on the carrier, the difference is how far the ring gear is moved over in the case.

um yeah... I'm with Crash. I'd question your mechanics ability to setup gears. are you sure you had 3.07's? are you sure its a 3.73? If gears are not setup correctly, then there will be problems. and differences as small as thousandths of an inch can ruin a gearset or make it whine.
CRASH said:

Rawbrown said:
um yeah... I'm with Crash. I'd question your mechanics ability to setup gears. are you sure you had 3.07's? are you sure its a 3.73? If gears are not setup correctly, then there will be problems. and differences as small as thousandths of an inch can ruin a gearset or make it whine.

I suggest people just make a shim out of some 1/8" plate. Works just fine. :shocked:

Lincoln said:
I suggest people just make a shim out of some 1/8" plate. Works just fine. :shocked:
So your willing to pay 2-3X the price of a stock carrier to have a piece of steel surface ground to fit??

I'm gonna bow out of this fight right now.... I've been in a bad mood today and discussing ring gear spacers is now a wise thing for my mood...

Rawbrown said:
I'm gonna bow out of this fight right now.... I've been in a bad mood today and discussing ring gear spacers is now a wise thing for my mood...

To hell with ring gear spacers they are worthless. I just have them jab a piece of 1/8" plate in where the shims go and cut it off with a hack saw. :D

You just made my outlook for today go up. I got Ryan's panties all twisted up.

Back