• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock rail + Nerf bar recommendations?

pabloconrad

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a rock rail/nerf bar (side-step) combo set-up that works best.

I currently have just side steps as I have a roof rack and use them to get to it. I never thought about rock rails until I ran over a boulder and it smashed my nerf bar into the body. Just a bit a damage but I'd like to prevent more.

What good brand provides both in one strong unit?

Thanks in advance.

pablo

Oh, yeah. 85 XJ with a 3.5" RE lift, 31s, and some other stuff.

I would say Rocklizard Fabrications. I just order a set from Marty about 3 weeks ago. They have the best mounting design out there and are super beefy. They are more money than some of the others but well worth it in design and quality.
Here are some pic of a set. I will have some pics when I get mine.

100_2665.jpg

100_2682.jpg

100_2675.jpg

100_2687.jpg

jeep01xj said:
I would say Rocklizard Fabrications. I just order a set from Marty about 3 weeks ago. They have the best mounting design out there and are super beefy. They are more money than some of the others but well worth it in design and quality.
Here are some pic of a set. I will have some pics when I get mine.

i like the way they look but i wont believe how good they are untill you go throw them up against a boulder. just let us know after youve done that.

check out AJsoffroadarmor.com good quality stuff and a great price. cheap shipping as well

cherokeeproject said:
i like the way they look but i wont believe how good they are untill you go throw them up against a boulder. just let us know after youve done that.

I can do that in about 3 weeks, I will let you know,

I vote for Rock Lizard too. All rails are the same stuff, but I like the mounting. 4 through bolts and crush sleeves, and it ties into the rear spring mount. 12 bolts on each side. I personally think frame stiffeners are a bunch of phooy. However, I just put on a TnT belly skid and the rails and there is definitly a difference. When I drove the forest road going to wheel and test out my stuff, my XJ just felt so much more solid. Quieter too, and I have a 00'. I went and bounced it off some rocks for fun. Just scratches. A lot better than the big dent I put in my rocker and door before I got the rails. I am very happy with mine.

Here ya go http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/skink_sliders.htm

Last edited:
you can always check out jcroffroad.com these guys have quality fabbed parts. i currently have a rock crawler bumper on the front of my xj and it has stood up to everything i'v thrown at it. these guys do bumpers and rock rails for jeeps. it's there specialty so check em out

Dirt Surfer said:
I vote for Rock Lizard too. All rails are the same stuff, but I like the mounting. 4 through bolts and crush sleeves, and it ties into the rear spring mount. 12 bolts on each side. I personally think frame stiffeners are a bunch of phooy. However, I just put on a TnT belly skid and the rails and there is definitly a difference. When I drove the forest road going to wheel and test out my stuff, my XJ just felt so much more solid. Quieter too, and I have a 00'. I went and bounced it off some rocks for fun. Just scratches. A lot better than the big dent I put in my rocker and door before I got the rails. I am very happy with mine.

Here ya go http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/skink_sliders.htm

Now I really cant wait to get mine :)

Another vote for JCR Offroad.
I have their stage 2's and they have served me very well.
I've hit them hard and they have held up fine.

Brian and Daryl at JCR will treat you right. Good people. Give them a call.
They can whip up some tasty hotdogs too.:D

www.jcroffroad.com

JCR's and Rocklizards look very similar, with Rocklizards having more in the beef department.

If I were not building my own, I would be getting mine from Rocklizards based on their slightly superior design.

My 2 cents

Yah i agree. Damn i just ordered a set from JCR and didnt look at rocklizards. But i know both of them fab some great stuff. Defintely go with one of them.

Well, If your still looking. These are olympic 4x4. They don't get anymore "nerf bar" looking than this. Two "2.5 tubes bolted to frame raril and pinch welds.

100_6661.jpg

100_6660.jpg

100_6659.jpg

Back