• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 high steer kit

For $1050 :scared: That's a good down payment on a custom 44.

Rob $.02

I bet the rigs with that kit steer like poo. The ackerman angles are no good. When you draw an imaginary line from the center of the rod end through the upper ball joint on both sides, the lines should intersect at or near the "CENTER" of the rear diff. With that kit, the lines will not intersect at all, and will be outside the rear tires.

Why is this important, you ask?

The relationship of rod end to the ball joint is what will make your inside steering tire turn sharper than the outside tire. The inside tire needs to follow a smaller radius than the outside tire, when making turns. It's all about the rod end's path or radii around the ball joint and the rod end's starting point in the radii. Since the inside tire's rod end is further toward the outside at it's starting point, it will turn sharper because it falling toward the back of the vehicle, where the outside tire's rod end is pushing across the front of the raduis, causing the inside tire to turn sharper than the ouside tire. God, I hope that makes sense!

With the "kit" it will wander, and feel like really bad bump steer. I've got personal experience with this (not the kit, but a similar set up) and it took a lot of reading to even get a hint of what was going on. To be honest I thought the problem was with my bias ply Iroks, when I stumbled on the Ackerman theory, purely by chance. I have since redone my steering set-up, and it drives 1000% better.

-Dan

ok, so would it be better to just do the go jeep style otk.
Loose nuts what would you recommend for my problem?, dont forget Right hand side drive.

Wolfe said:
ok, so would it be better to just do the go jeep style otk.
Loose nuts what would you recommend for my problem?, dont forget Right hand side drive.
I'm not sure what GoJeep has done, but I would trust whatever he has come up with. He's a smart, industrious fellow. You are talking about GoJeep here on the boards, form Oz, right?

You could still do the WJ knuckle thing, just be sure to run the tie rod off of the tie rod arms, not the draglink arm, and it will steer like stock. The right hand drive set up is all you'll need. For the high steer part, you'll have to flip the tie rod to the top side of the arm and ream out the taper from the other side, or drill out and use a tapered insert, or drill out and use a heim. The tie rod won't be quite as high as the kit mentioned, but I'd rather have it drive well.

Hope that helps,

-Dan

Back