• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2004 KJ 5spd manual to a 90 XJ

profonde

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
is it possible to swap 2004 KJ 5spd manual to a 90 XJ. As far as i know the clutch is the weak link with these it has a small diameter. Any way anyone tried these or have any idea?

The bellhousing should be different for the motor to bolt up, Im not sure if the tranny woulf fit a xj belhousing.

I guess ı can find somebody to fabricate an adapter for it not a big deal ı guess. Do you think ıt would be the only problem?

profonde said:
I guess ı can find somebody to fabricate an adapter for it not a big deal ı guess. Do you think ıt would be the only problem?

thats an awful lot of expense just to swap in a stock tranny that doesnt belong there... why not just use another AX-15?

x2
and unless its the correct spline AND accepts a np231 or 242 which ever one you have, its not worth it. get a rebuilt ax-15

My company give me a free 04 KJ manual, i work for DaimlerChrysler Turkey by the way(so i ve a free manual). but we dont have any ax15's here and it would cost me 3000 us dollars to import a new one. And the problem with the aw4 is the ratios of it, really sucks for the kind of race i do...

profonde said:
My company give me a free 04 KJ manual, i work for DaimlerChrysler Turkey by the way(so i ve a free manual). but we dont have any ax15's here and it would cost me 3000 us dollars to import a new one. And the problem with the aw4 is the ratios of it, really sucks for the kind of race i do...
look into a torque flight 904.

Isn't the manual tranny a NV3550? If so then its a near direct swap. You would need to get the correct bellhousing. On the NV3550 it bolts onto the tranny. You could use a bellhousing from a late AX-15 (95+) or an NV3550. You might look at Advanced Adapter's for info. They do sell a slave cylinder kit. I am in the middle of my swap of a NV3550 into an '88 Comanche.
Tom

I don't think so, unless its a 4 cyl. I think they changed the spline count in '89. I think they changed mid-year from the BA-10/5 to the AX-15. The main problem I am having is the transmission cross member for this swap. The older cross member for the BA-10/5 is suppose to work. I think the two steel bracket the cross member bolts onto need to be swapped from left side to right side and vice versa. Then only two bolts will go to the frame. So a total of 6 bolts instead of 8 originally. Another option is to find a cross member from a '00 or '01 XJ that had the NV3550 as its tranny. So yes, it cna be done. I would look into what pilot bearing you will need. I think Dino list them on his site. Advance Adapters might be your only source for that year. If I remember its about $20. A bit expensive for a pilot bearing, but since its a limited run item, then its understandable. But double check that.
Tom

I would say you will need the flywheel and ECM from the same year XJ or MJ.If you keep these the same year (90) as your present XJ, then the rest of your electronics (distributor, etc.) should work. I have heard of people using the automatic wiring harness with a manual tranny. Somehow they take out the auto tranny's computer. I have no experience with that though. If no one chimes in, I'll search around and see who has done this. In my case, I went with a '95 manual wiring harness, ECM etc. I swapped in an '03 block and a '95 head. I could have still used the '88 Renix wiring though. Some prefer the Renix system.
Tom

profonde said:
I ve an AW4 not a peugeot on it i think it will make some difference i will also need a flywheel etc right?
you will need an 87-90 4.0 flywheel.
you can use the automatic TPS with a manual, and the TCU is under the dash on the right side, under the glovebox, assuming left hand drive.
Just unplug it. You'll have to wire the backup light circuit to the switch on the man trans, and you'll have to bypass any shift interlock nonsense that the auto may have had.

Back