• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few Weird Noises

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94xj with the 4.0 and i have recently (past 2 months) have started to experience some intresting sounds. The jeep has about 116k and seems do be doing otherwise ok.

The first sound is evident when turning my wheel to the right or left usually while going. The sounds seem to come from the driverside front. The sound is rather lound and ranges from a loud clunk to not so loud metal tap.

The second sound is a bit more strange in that occurs while coasting and then acceleration or decelleration. Usually this becomes apparent at or above 40mph. I have changed the front and rear driveshaft ujoints with spicer parts and the noise is still present. The only ujoints left are the ones on the front wheel shafts (right and left), i am not sure if those can cause that. The wheel hubs are almost a year old.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

thanks
pete

I would look at the axle ujoints for sure. Most likely the cause of the noise when turning. Could also make noise on accel/decel.

DaffyXJ said:
I would look at the axle ujoints for sure. Most likely the cause of the noise when turning. Could also make noise on accel/decel.
X2 just replace all your u joints, its a good idea anyways

Well i changed the front wheel u joints yesterday night it seems that the seond noise has been minimized, i would like to still drive it a bit before i can make a accurate judgement.

For the first noise yesterday i was able to replicate the noise by turning the wheel to full left (with car off). Basically from the straight position as i turn to the left as i reach almost near the end there is a big clunk and as i go back the clunk happens again . Using another person the noise is diffenately coming from the steering box. Its sounds like someone taking a hammer and giving the frame a blow. The steering otherwise works well , can it be the something to do with its mounting ? I found three screw and they were all really tight, is their something else ?

Also something else has arisen, for the past few days as i start the jeep (auto) the idle is at 1500RPM as i put it in Drive it drops but later on the drive if i put it in park again its still pretty high ? The TPS, MAP and O2 are all brand new.

Thanks
pete

I as well hear a clunk coming from front driver side when making full left turn. I am curious to know what is causing it.

Back