• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler 3-Link Install

XJ_Jeeper01

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen many threads about the Rock Krawler stuff and no real install/writeup with pics for the 3-Link kit, so I thought I would post one up. I went to a local welding shop to have the lower brackets welded on. 15 bucks and a ride to the gas station for a 12-pack was all it cost me. :D Prior to having them welded on, I had to grind the undercoating off on the framerails to bare metal. Here they are welded on and ready to be painted.
P1010018.jpg

The front lip.
P1010019.jpg

The inside lip.
P1010020.jpg

I used some rustoleum black to paint them. Once this is all done it's time to take it all apart. I found after supporting the body and axle on jackstands that i didn't need to detach the draglink, track bar and sway bar end links. I started with taking off the lowers first. After they are off, the factory lower brackets will need to come off. I had a good bit of trouble with this because all I had was a dremel and a semi-decent angle grinder. The directions that Rock Krawler gives says to drill out the spot welds to get the brackets off. It works, but is very slow going and you will need a couple very good drill bits. I needed to have the jeep ready to go by sunday becuase i had work monday. So i decided to cut off as much of the bracket as I could and I will at some point go back and drill out the spot welds to get a better, cleaner look.
Here is what i cut off.
P1010042.jpg

After much swearing, I finally got those brackets off. Now it is on to the upper bracket. The Rock Krawler instructions tell you how to measure and line up the bracket to drill the holes. Pretty much you line up the center of the first hole(the farthest left one) with the front edge of the lower bracket and score or in my case used white chalk, a line straight up the framerails.
P1010043.jpg

Here you can see that the slot to the left in the framerails is where the fourth hole needs to be, but some of the metal still needs to be drilled away because it wasn't a perfect fit. I found the easiest way to do this was to drill the other 3 holes and bolt the bracket up then drill that hole. Drilling the outer framerails wasn't that much of a problem. A good drill bit goes a long way. :D Drilling the holes through the inner framerails were another story. With a heavy duty drill you can't get it perfectly level on the top 2 holes beacuse of the lip on the rocker panels. A 90* drill would be very helpful here. I didn't have one so i had to slot the holes to get a perfect alignment. Make sure to pull the fuel lines away from the frame when drilling the holes. I used a piece of 1/4" angle iron to put behind the fuel lines so the drill bit would hit that. I forgot to take a pic of the upper bracket installed, but i'll take one and post it later. Doh! Now you can install the lower arms. Rock Krawler gives measurements for the length of the arms, but they will have to be adjusted depending on your lift height.
P1010052.jpg

P1010055.jpg

Now you have to take off the upper arms and pound out the rubber bushing and metal sleeve on the upper bracket on the driver side. Rock Krawler gives you a new flex joint to replace the bushing. This gave me a hard time too. The sleeve had seized itself the the bracket. I left it overnight soaking in PB Blaster. Pounding on it with a BFH didn't do anything. In the end it took drilling out the rubber bushing, pulling out the inner sleeve, then taking a chisel and a BFH to pound out the metal sleeve from the bracket.
P1010048.jpg

Here is the new joint all setup.
P1010049.jpg

P1010051.jpg

The joint will need to be well packed with grease before putting it all together.

The upper arm needed to be adjusted more than the lower arms because I needed to rotate the axle up for a better pinion angle. It took a little trial and error to get a good pinion angle, but I think I am happy with what it is at.
P1010053.jpg

All the arms installed, and all the bolts tourqued. I used locktite on all the bolts. And here it is back on it's wheels and set to go!
P1010059.jpg

All in all i'm very happy with this kit so far. The on road ride is sooooo much better than with the short arms. I haven't taken it offroad yet since I just put it on this weekend. I think that the install was fairly easy for a mostly bolt on kit. And the arms are super beef. Never breaking those! Let me know what you guys think.
-Matt

didn't you get directions when you bought the kit? the welds onto the unibody are supposed to be spaced .5" apart with multiple welds. unibody welding is different... i'm not a welding pro tho. on a side note, nice clean XJ man!

Last edited:
yea the instructions say to space the welds apart for stress purposes, but i don't see how welding the whole thing is a bad thing. i mean wouldn't it be more structural to weld the whole thing than to have only part of it welded?

91 Jeep Project said:
Those are welds from a shop?
yea they are. a little boogery, but there just aren't places around me that do really good professional welding. there aren't any offroad shops or custom car shops either. i don't know anyone who can weld so i was kinda in a bit of a pickle.

XJ_Jeeper01 said:
yea the instructions say to space the welds apart for stress purposes, but i don't see how welding the whole thing is a bad thing. i mean wouldn't it be more structural to weld the whole thing than to have only part of it welded?

its because a unibody flexes more than a true frame. therefore, when you weld it up complelely you run the risk of the welds cracking over time

shimmy said:
its because a unibody flexes more than a true frame. therefore, when you weld it up complelely you run the risk of the welds cracking over time
huh, interesting. i should have looked into that before i got them welded. live and learn.

nice i put the RK kit on my xj this weekend as well.took about 5 hrs. the only thing to be desired is left hand threads on on end and right hand on the other on the lower cont arms. The hardest thing was adjusting the track and pinion, you have to adj each hiem indepedantly insted of loosening the jam nut and turning

BrettM said:
are their sleeves throuh the frame rail for the upper bracket bolts?

nope

on a side note on a bunch of the kits ive installed (RK and my own) we tried stitching the brackets on. We never had a failure, but people would complain that it looked incomplete, or of mysterious creaking issues, so i started stitching them on, letting it cool, then going back and fillin in the rest. Finally i gave up and welded them on in one clean fast pass, concentrating the heat at the bracket. never had a come back for any reason. I also dont weld the front, just the inside and outside, all the force is front the back, 8" of weld isnt going anywhere

On my personal jeep, i just welded the outside, and never had an issue

i run the rk kit, but i didn't use there LCA mounts. i used angled and thus it sleeved the upper mount too. works great

did they weld that before or after they drank that 12 pack??:looney:

acouple of question, can you get a pic of the front with the upper control arm installed, believe it or not, alot of people install the upper arm incorrectly, also did you cut off the excess bolt for the upper axleside mount, and did you leave the passengerside upper axleside mount on the axle or did you grind it off?
I'm not bitchin I think you did an excellent job, I wouldn't worry about the welding, it coulda/shoulda been done better, but it's done and overwith now, I would just like to see a complete build up, b/c its not very often where someone does a build up and goes over everything

Back