• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gasoline(TM) - A New Fragrance by Jeep

critik

NAXJA Forum User
So I've read before that smelling fuel outside of your car is certainly a bad thing, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing my problem.

It's a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport (4.0L)...I'm smelling gas directly in front of the car. It seems to be getting worse. I gave it a quick visual inspection, but found nothing out of the ordinary, and I couldn't narrow it down to any specific location for a leak. How would I go about taking a second look at it?

What are the possible problems I could be having?

I'm a college student with little money, and I usually do maintenence myself. Will I be able to fix such a problem, or would I need to take it to someone who is more experienced?

Thanks a bunch!

From the front, most problems can be fixed with a 1/2" wrench and few minor tools. The main culpret to suspect is leaky fuel injectors. Check 'em out with the engine running but cold and look for leaks. Look as well at the fuel lines themselves. There's a supply line (rear) and a return line (front).

If its leaking at either supply line, order the o-ring kit from the dealer and replace. If its leaking from the injectors, you may want to replace them depending on milage, but for sure you need to replace the o-rings. Another kit from the dealer.

If you need new injectors, go here http://tunertoys.zoovy.com/product/CIXJ9193

and for $160 you get the injectors and o-rings. You will however still need kits for the fuel lines.

just a a double check.............take a look at the fuel filter.
I had a similar issue, i could smell fuel around the drivers side door - filter was toast

On the passenger side? Hmm, all the fuel lines and filter are on the driver's side, so... Hmm. Could be excessive blow-by, due to worn rings, coming out the breather/PCV grommets on the valve cover. If I'm not mistaken the '94s had the radiator cap actually on the radiator, and no coolant bottle at the firewall. My old '90 XJ warped the head and bubbles were going into the bottle. I could smell gas fumes coming from there. No visible leaks at all when running? If it's mostly after being shut off I would say leaky injectors dripping into the intake manifold.

In my case the fuel pressure regulator it was leaking on my relativly hot intake manifold causing gasoline to evaporate. I took of the bolts off the FPR and I found that I needed to change the rubber seal it was solid rock. everybody told me that this was most uncommon but it fixed it .
Make sure it isnt the smell of exhaust cause i get some exhaust smell because of my cracked manifold.

There's a hose on the evaporative canister that is rotten...I let the vehicle sit over night, and I opened the hood the next morning...strong as ever. It was definitely coming from there. It's the hose that attaches to the front of the canister (on top), and then winds back around the firewall, and down into the tubing that runs along the frame towards the back. What size hose is this, does anyone know?

similar question,
I have been smelling gas mostly when i am near the rear of the vehicle, particularly when i go around to open the hatch. I hadn't noticed it anywhere else until the other day I used the passing gear on the highway and parked soon after. For the rest of the day I smelled gas around the entire vehicle, strong near the front. Any ideas what would cause my smell to move like that?

Back