• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brake extending

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys. so i was putting some shims on my rear axle the other day and i realized that i cannot drop my axle more than about 3" from the springs (4.5" lift springs) without having to worry about my parking brake lines popping out (im pretty sure their the parking brake lines the thick black ones that plug into the drums).

i have a 94 4 dr and a 4.5 inch lift. the lines are fine when all bolted up, but im plannin on giving her a two inch boost, and maybe some long arms so this is really worrying me. plus they are riding on my muffler. so my question is if i give it a two inch boost, and loosed the ebrake will the cables have more play. i no it sounds juvenile, but i wondered this because the way i see it loosening the lines would only serve to make the middle sag more. in mine there is a single wire that attaches to the ebrake lever then to the middle plate where it spilts to two which then go to two points on either side of the underbody and turn into the thick black tubes that go to the axle.

i guess after all of that it comes down to
"how do you extend the rear brake lines without having to bleed them or anything?"

thanks guys

the e-brake cables are mechanical, so you can replace them without having to bleed the brakes. It's a pretty common design that we have for e-brake cables. You might want to go the a junkyard and start looking around with a tape measure. The biggest pain will be that you have to strip the drums to the backing plate to get the cable off. You might was well get a new hardware kit and shoes, if you're going to be taking it apart, might as well do a brake job.

Back