• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31" donut?

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make a donut spare 31" with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern? I decided not to get a rear tire carrier for my bumper and a normal MT 31 wont fit in the spare part of the hatch without deflating it (no OBA) so I thought that carrying around a donut for the street, and strapping in a 31" MT on the hatch floor when wheeling. Anyone seen anything like this?

31" is 31" -- if a "real" 31 won't fit, what makes you think a 31" donut will fit?

Do you have a locker or limited slip? If not, carry a 235/75R15 for a spare and call it a day.

what about full size trucks? they run big tires, and i know i have seen some pretty large donuts .. not as skinny as the XJ donut though.. what about a tahoe or suburban? expedition? they keep them inside and i doudt a full size spare mounted inside is standard and there would be less room for moms groceries... no idea what o do about the bolt pattern issue but i bet you could find a 29" or 30" donut with a few calls to dealers about standard equipment... otherwise i'd do the 235 and put it on the front if at all possible...
mike

First of all good luck squeezing a 31" height tire in there lengthwise.... my 235 was a very tight fit....... you need to lay it flat as the bench is at an angle and you got more space on the bottom then at the middle...

Kejtar

Due to either manufacturing tolerances or differences between years -- or both -- not all XJs are the same. I can carry a 30x9.50R15 spare in the stock location in my '88, but I've seen many that won't fit anything larger than a 235, and one Saturday morning at the dealer's parts counter I was chatting with a guy who claimed he couldn't even fit a 235 unless the rear seat back was left unlatched.

Watch out puttin it in the back. make sure it's tied down. Before modified my rack I had a 31 in the back, leaning against the back seat. hit the gas a little too hard and it flipped back and popped my back window out.

I can fit in a pro comp AT wich is the tiniest 31 in the planet (more like 30x10.5x15). The MT just wont fit. I wouldn't mind trying to blow up a donut 31 if I had to do it with a dinky 12v compressor, but doing the same for a true 31 makes the little thing hot enough to melt the housing.

When offroading I would probably strap a 31MT laying flat using some ratchet straps.

Slip Kid said:
Watch out puttin it in the back. make sure it's tied down. Before modified my rack I had a 31 in the back, leaning against the back seat. hit the gas a little too hard and it flipped back and popped my back window out.
I have built an aluminum rack that is tied into the cargo area floor and it allows me to strap stuff to it on top and the tire slides out to the rear....

Kejtar

Back