• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny fried

Markster

NAXJA Forum User
I just had a shop rebuild my automatic trans in my 97 4.0L XJ.
We've been towing a small 2,200 lb. travel trailer for about a year.

Before the trans failed last week, no slipping or other symptoms occurred. Fluid level was up, coloration was fine (at previous check before failure). We were stranded out of state when this happened. Cost me $1,800 clams.

Shop thought it may have been caused by faulty catalytic converter, but I had that checked immediately after the rebuild and the converter is fine. Trans guys said a faulty cat converter could cause heating problems.

I have 79,000 miles on the XJ and have always had it serviced by dealer since purchased new (yeah, I'm a wimp, ok? ).

Question - am I pushing the envelope by using the XJ as a tow vehicle? It has a transmission cooler which was installed at date of purchase.
Engine running great - no heating problems whatsoever. If anyone can give good advice, it's y'all. You guys are awesome.

Thanks

What a bad deal... Your tranny went pretty early. The AW-4 4 spd transmission is a real solid part. Typically they last to about 160k. Your's is only half that! (Mine died right on schedule at 167k) Trailer towing will increase wear and tear some but your tranny gave up early.

TPS , change the TPS sensor, mine did the same thing at 80K, the trans is most likely AOK but if the TPS goes the trans doesnt work. Been there done it..........TPS sensors will never make the 80K mark

Go get a TPS BEFORE you pay the trans guy.....Im willing to bet thats your problem......ithe TPS for my 92 was $35 at autozone , the dealer will want $79 max

Chewy

I second the TPS,same here TPS failure will mess with your tranny shifting.If your oil wasnt burnt and you found no metal in pan I'll bet that tranny shop is stroking you man.

Ummm, it looks to me like he already had the tranny rebuillt. You guys are right about the TPS though... it sure looks/feels like a tranny failure when it goes bad.

Thanks guys for the TPS tip. That might have been the problem although the work has been done and $1,800. came out of my pocket.

The vehicle did go into gear though - kind of. It would slip a little, chug, and not really accelerate very well from dead stop. I could race the engine in park and neutral and everything was fine.

The shop guy said there was metal debris when he pulled the pan - he could have been stretching the truth. Thanks again, I should have been traveling with a laptop to get your feedback before spending the $$$.

NO, the tranny shop CHANGED the TPS and charged him $1800 is more like it ;-) most likely never rebuilt jack.....now the cheap TPS has smoked and its dead again......

I would try the TPS .....

Good Luck
Chewy

TPS on later XJs??

Not familiar with the TPS causing problems directly on later XJs with trans shifting. Not sure works like that on the OBD II systems. The PCM has those reigns. If there was a problem that way trouble codes would be set. The system sets codes at the drop of a hat. It would be my guess was just a bad trans. It does happen. Is the most complicated mechanical component in a vehicle and there is a rather substantial failure rate. Could have been just a weak spring in the pump not applying adequate pressures allowing poor clamping of clutch packs. Or one single rubber gasket causing leakage in a clutch drum. In other words, could've been anything.

I'd hope there'd be metal in the pan. When cluutches slip, the facing is worn off and is metal to metal.

Just make sure as possible the torque converter is locking up when required and that line pressures are as should be!! Also make sure they flushed all the trans lines and coolers!!

Back