• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ls1 into a 99 cherokee.... any comments ?

Red October

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here is the deal: My roomate just took an ls1 out of his camaro and told me it was mine. Anyone have any ideas on how to shoehorn this thing into my cherokee with a 4L80E trans behind it? I've seen a 350 in the xj's before i was wondering how tight a fit these were considering that the Ls1 is half an inch shorter, but 1 inch wider. Any comments apprieciated. Thanks guys

Red October said:
Ok, here is the deal: My roomate just took an ls1 out of his camaro and told me it was mine. Anyone have any ideas on how to shoehorn this thing into my cherokee with a 4L80E trans behind it? I've seen a 350 in the xj's before i was wondering how tight a fit these were considering that the Ls1 is half an inch shorter, but 1 inch wider. Any comments apprieciated. Thanks guys

you'll need a 2inch body lift

:eyes:

Should be perty straight foward. Custom motor mounts, I don't believe AA makes a kit yet, Exh manifolds or custom headers. The 4L80E is a big heavy tranny. Very strong though. What T case do you plan on running? 241? Or whatever they use in the 3/4 ton trucks? Axle upgrades in the budget? Driveshafts, frame strengthing, ect...?

XJ is already done,thats why i dont sell it. Also yes whatever might come in the trucks for the tcase. the frame already has strengtheners on it, planning on building a extremely sturdy crossmember. The xj also has around 8.5 inches and 33's on it currently.

what are you gonna do about axles, drive shafts all all that stuff? i hear a D35 is a good swap out back

robz95xj said:
what are you gonna do about axles, drive shafts all all that stuff? i hear a D35 is a good swap out back

I've got a d35 in it stock... as with most xj's. The rear is gonna be the 8.8 and the front is gonna be a d44 that are sitting in the garage. And yes, i will have to build or get some new driveshafts, that is a given.

without much experience on V8 swaps in XJ I cant comment on it
but I will say this
I do have a good bit of knowledge on the S10 aspect and a V8 swaps into them almost like butter on bread
but the LS1 is a serious task to get 1 of them into an S truck
you have to notch the frame and run a different power brake booster and master cyl
and thats just to get it to fit
then you have to get the wiring straight so it will run
but then there is also a carbed intake out there now that comes with a stand alone engine mngmt comp to run the DIS which would make wiring it up ALOT easier
but I still wouldnt call it easy if a V8 swap in an XJ is more difficult and involved than an S10 swap then its gotta be a pain the azz
but I am sure the end result would be outstanding
although I would thing an NV4500 would be a more fun choise for a trans

thought about the nv4500 also, just didnt want to mess with the trans tunnel as this is kinda my dd.... yea i know sounds kinda stupid now doesnt it ? oh well, i want this to work.

itll probably be harder with that much lift.

Back