• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

S10 leaf lift guestimate

MPETESS10

NAXJA Forum User
ok I have a set of S10 Z85 leafs (the ones with the overload leaf at the bottom) layin around left over from lowering my s10 a few years ago
I am thinkin about using them to lift my XJ for cheap since I already have a set of 1.75" spacers layin around waitin for install
I have read plenty of S10 leaf threads but still have a couple questions
I am only lookin for a 2" lift but my stock leafs on my 99 are already sagging 1" +
should I only use the top leaf from the S10 pack

from what I have read using the entire S10 pack along with the XJ main leaf nets around 4" of lift
I only want half that much

should I use more than just the main leaf of the S10 pack or would that be too much lift

also
can I reuse my stock U-bolts (if they come out in 1 peice) only using the S10 main leaf or will I need longer ones

if I need longer ones will cheapo's from autozone fit
or will I need to get jeep specific u-bolts and if so where can I get them
I have the 8.25 rear since I know that matters with the u-bolts

Well the amount of lift varies...
You could use all of them and only end up with 3"s or so, or you could get the full 4"s they're not all the same.
I remember a thread on here not too long ago where a guy only got 2"s from an s-10 leaf pack.
If I were you I'd use all of them, see how it sits and if needed buy a cheap 2" coil spacer for the front.

I already have a spacer for the front so thats not a sproblem

honestly if i can get rid of the sag and just level it out maybe add an extra inch in the back compared to front I would be happy with that
and if I get more height in the rear I will then add the spacer up front to make it level

basically I am looking to gain about 2" over a stock non sagging XJ rear
mine is sagging more than an inch right now but I dont base my lift on what I am gaining from now I am basing then as what I would get from non sag height

it depends on how much of a pain in the azz it is to take apart and put back together on how much I will use the first time
this will be a learning exp for me taking it apart and putting it back the first time so it will probably take a little longer than expected at first
but once I do it once it will surely be easier after that

thanks for the tips

I've been told to never re-use old u-bolts...no real explanation, just that you don't want to do it. I've also been warned away from using autozone bolts.

919Chief said:
I just did mine yesterday by slipping the second leaf from the S-10 pack into my stock packs. It got me 2.5-2.75 inches of lift.

is that amount over stock or just over sagging spring height

2.5-2.75 over sag height would be perfect for me
but over stock might be a little more than I want
especially since my spacers are only 1.75 although I guess I could double up on coil isolators if need be

also another question
how close to the end of the stock XJ packs do the s10 2nd leafs come
are they close to full length or is there still a good bit of open leaf on the XJ main leaf

Last edited:
lrsmithwhaley said:
I've been told to never re-use old u-bolts...no real explanation, just that you don't want to do it. I've also been warned away from using autozone bolts.

I have used autozone u-bolts in the past on my slammed S10
used em for probably 3-4 years with no problems
although when I took em off there was absolutely no re-using them
but I re-used my stock u-bolts from my s10 when I raised it back up to "almost stock"
that was a year ago and still no issues

but thanks for the advice

MPETESS10 said:
is that amount over stock or just over sagging spring height

2.5-2.75 over sag height would be perfect for me
but over stock might be a little more than I want
especially since my spacers are only 1.75 although I guess I could double up on coil isolators if need be

also another question
how close to the end of the stock XJ packs do the s10 2nd leafs come
are they close to full length or is there still a good bit of open leaf on the XJ main leaf

Over sag.

The S10 second leaves were just a little bit longer than the XJ second leaves so they still leave a bit of open leaf on the XJ main.

I would use the s10 main leaf if your leafs are saggy or they will invert at the ends if you use too short of a leaf with too much arch. So cut the eyes off the s10 leaf and throw it in

ok thanks
I already have 1 S10 leaf pack completely disassembled and bushings eyes cut off
the other one is down to just needing the ends cut off
after that I just need to find some new center pins and u-bolts and get to work
once I get my Xj leafs taken apart I will then determine where the S10 leafs need to be trimmed at
according to the write that I have seen (the very well documneted one) he had to trim 1 end of the S10 leaf once it was inserted and matched up

thanks for the help guys

Are the S10 and XJ center pins the same size? Where can you get the leaf pads that are between the leaves? I already have my S10 pack and am saving up the dough for the rest of the lift and just need to know these details for now. Thanks.

well from what I have read and what I know the center pin on the jeeps are 5/16 (what I read)
the center pin on my S10 pack is 3/8's

some people drill out the XJ leafs to use 3/8's pins but it seems like most people just use the stock 5/16 pins and they leave a little gap in the hold of the S10 leaf
but if you think about it its only 1/16 of an inch

my S10 pack has some plastic pads on the ends of some of the leafs

Last edited:
Back