• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In deeper

AgentXJ203

NAXJA Forum User
I started my XJ build-up over two years ago with one aim. I am a storm chaser/spotter for a local group & county EMA. I designed my chase truck to be able to get around in Central VA, especially after hurricanes. Here's what I currently have.

1989 Cherokee (was a Laredo originally)
4.0 Renix, AW4, NP242
2" coil spring spacers front, 2" lift blocks rear
31" Goodyear Wrangler A/T tires on stock alloy rims
Front & rear fenders trimmed upward 2", stock flare relocation
Junk from under front bumper removed
Vaccuum bottle relocated to under hood
Manumatic electronic transmission control override system
Herculined flares, bumper caps, rocker panels, fender wells
Incomplete dual battery system
DIY front sway-bar disconnects
Police package alternator, high-CCA battery, 4G starter and alternator cables

I have the following planned for this summer

Hood vents
Snorkel
Complete dual battery system
Step tires up to 33" or 35" and new Black Mountain wheels
F150 front coil springs and rear shocks (added 2" lift)
Dodge Dakota rear spring pack (added 4" of lift)
Remove rear blocks (2")
Wrangler front shocks and brake hoses
Remove rear sway bar
Bar Pin Eliminators for shocks
Detours Backbone System with Superwinch & PreRunner Bar
KC 100 Watt Daylighters / 5x7 roof lights & bar

I have a few questions.

- What am I missing?
- What can I really do without?
- Will I need a SYE kit for my 242 with 4" of lift, or will a T-case drop be sufficient?
- Am I going for too much for the purpose?

Thanks dudes!

I would have thought that going to 33's and the height needed to clear them will reduce the handling too much and that is a major problem when you have a hurricane bearing down on you? If you feel for some reason you need that much clearance under the diffs then running a lower profile tyre on a larger rims like 17's would better suit and do more cutting to keep the COG nice and low for high speed work. You should be building it more like a desert racer I thought?

Yeah, we do get hurricanes here. Isabel caused the most damage in 2003, and Camille killed the most in 1969. This area has high forest counts. I wasn't so much referring to actually working IN the hurricane so much as doing damage surveys afterwards and climbing over trees and powerpoles and crossing high water and such. Thanks for the suggestions though! Any help is appreciated.

Im no help but the only thing that came to mind was a big hydraulic winch.
Mile Marker makes them, noone likes Mile Marker tho.
I have had only good experiences with the MM hydraulic winches, cant say Ive had experience with the MM electrics

The only thing I will recommend is to look into some different lights than the KCs. I personally would say to spend your money on a set of Lightforce lights (the 170's would be the equivalent size to the Daylighters) instead. IMO they are much better quality lights that will serve you better and with their features such as: a focusable beam, interchangeable filters (blue, red, wide angle for fog, yellow, etc...) and being made out of polycarbonate they are extremely tough. I can leave a shadow in front of some of my friends' vehicles when they have their high beams on with mine and they are the only lights I will be buying from this point on. They are more expensive than the Daylighters but I think it is a case of you get what you pay for, and in the case of the Lightforces I believe you get more than what you pay for.

Back