• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welder tune-up

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 120v- 130amp mig welder from Solar, model 2120 that references to Lincoln model 117-020. When I'm welded larger stuff such an angle iron, heavy expanded metal, etc it does just fine, lays a nice bead and burns into the iron really well.

When I try to weld sheet metal with the heat turned down (I have very little experience with sheet metal to start with) I get some strange behavior. Insead of burning at the tip of the wire I get a very inconsistant burn to the point where the wire coming out of the tip will actually push my hand away from the work, rather than burning evenly. Eventually I just turned the heat back up and had to move fast not to blow through, but why can't I get an even burn with the lower temp? The sheet metal was clean and unpainted, using flux wire and NO gas (yet).

I considered that the liner in the lead may be shot giving me an uneven feed, but I don't think so because it does just fine when turned up, and an uneven feed wouldn't push my hand away from the work.

Thanks-

tealcherokee said:
flux core is good for about no thinner than 3/32

sheetmetal and fluxcore do not get along, the wire is too thick

OK, I've already priced out a tank and regulator, looks like I'll just have to bump up the conversion a little. Stupid flux stuff splatters like mad anyway-

problem with switching over to the tank, youll be lucky to get good penetration on anything over 1/8"

best bet is to price out a real mig, youll be able to weld 24g - 1/4 (and bigger depending on $$$$)

tealcherokee said:
problem with switching over to the tank, youll be lucky to get good penetration on anything over 1/8"

best bet is to price out a real mig, youll be able to weld 24g - 1/4 (and bigger depending on $$$$)

Meh- I keep reading that but it welds just fine. I understood penetration is better without flux rod...(?)

I'm moving into my new house in about 2 weeks, don't know yet what it will take to get 220V but this 130 amp welder actually welds quite well, just not fast.

the flux core filler wire will penetrate better (hense why you keep burning though the sheetmetal)

220 doesnt take anything, you already have it, it might just take setting up a dual circuit breaker and running the wires, or and extension cord from the clothes dryer :D

Back