• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

S-10 Spring Question

rockinw

NAXJA Forum User
I have read the threads about cutting and using the rear springs off of a s-10 and adding them to the main leaf of a XJ. But why can I not just bolt up the s-10 leaf as it is without cutting and adding it to the main leaf? Will this not give me any lift? Maybe it would have a better ride this way. What am I missing?

YOu are keeping the main leaf off of the xj and the whole pack off of the s-10 minus the leaf eyes.
Cutting off the eyes is the best part! Buy a couple of 4" cuttoff wheels for your grinder and cut those bad boys off. Be sure to paint the freshly cut edges to avoid rust. Also, find some lube to put in between each leaf spring. I used some thick moly lube but there are probably better things to use.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

measure eye to eye depending on the year it will bolt in the only disadvantage is that it will move the axle back and with the lift of 4-5 in you will need to get a new drive shaft.

my search came up zip on s10 springs???are these 2wd or 4wd s10 springs & how do they compare to dakota springs? tony

Last edited:
I did measure the springs eye to eye. The S-10 springs are 3/4" shorter. I thought they might even out when I bolted the rearend up and then jacked it up alittle. I will have to trim the bushing a little to get them to fit up into the shackle, but it sure looks like they will fit.

I did the F150 coil spring conversion awhile ago. I could not take it any longer and have just replaced them with some RE 3' springs. I hope that gets a little ride quality back, talk about stiff and firm. I also had installed 2 1/2" lift blocks in the rear and now that's what I am getting rid of. My XJ just rolls around my ranch, but it may replace my CJ as my traveling trail machine.

xj trenton said:
measure eye to eye depending on the year it will bolt in the only disadvantage is that it will move the axle back and with the lift of 4-5 in you will need to get a new drive shaft.

so did you use the whole spring when you did this? and it moves the axle backwards??? cause i am going with waggy 44's and the longer pinion was gonna make me replace the drive shaft but if i put these springs on is it possible that i wont have to replace it?

Dont just use grease between the leafs. It will collect dirt, grit and works it way out (I know I did it this way). A better solution (I did this an love it) is to go to home depot, pick up some medium density poly ethylene counter top sheeting (1/16 x 4'x8'=$20). Clean the underside of the leafs with brake clean and a wire wheel. Cut strips of the MDPE sheet to lay between the springs. Bond them in place with expensive contact cement. Be careful to leave room for the stock plastic liners on the tips of the springs if you have them.

The result of this effort will be a quiet, very smooth, very predictable and slightly softer rear springs (very low friction). It rear will grip the rocks better and give you a much nicer ride.

BTW Bronco II springs are thinner, have more arch and make a better spring pack than S-10 or Dakota springs (I did both). You get more lift at a lower spring rate with the Bronco II springs. You have to cut the Bronco springs to length but that only takes a couple minutes. Take the time to dress the ends carefully of any leaf you cut.

John

Phager, That S-10 spring right up from Timmay is a great one. That is what I used as a basis to start this whole rear spring project. It just looks like I can bolt the S-10 spring in as it is. I have not got that far yet though. Work is getting in the way.

rckclmbr said:
so did you use the whole spring when you did this? and it moves the axle backwards??? cause i am going with waggy 44's and the longer pinion was gonna make me replace the drive shaft but if i put these springs on is it possible that i wont have to replace it?
when i did all the measurements it was about 1/2" back from the front eye to the bolt compared to the xj and with the lift moving the shaft back 1-1-1/2 out of the tcase you will have almost 2" to make up.

Phager said:
Not to be rude or anything. But the 7th result on "S10 Springs" yields this thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083&highlight=S10+Springs

Pretty good write up I think. IDK, but I think the quotes make a difference.

Hope this helps.

Pat
thanks pat i have been searching for a week hated to go buy dakota springs when my son had some s10 ones laying in the shop in the way:) but when i put in s10 only it comes up blank on matchs adding spring to s10 helped :) tony

Ok, I found out the draw backs of just bolten up the S-10 springs. Now I am not going to reinvent the wheel. I am now going to just follow the steps that Timmay laid out in this article and cut the S-10's and bolt them up to the XJ main leaf...

Back