• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Correct part # for renix o2 sensor.

I just replaced the one on my '90 last week. Make sure you get the 3 wire version. I had to go to 3 auto stores before getting the right one!!

'90 4.0L O2 Sensor, 3wire, Bosch #12009

I don't have the Borg-Warner part number handy, but DO NOT get the "universal" sensor - it works differently, and WILL NOT work with RENIX (and no, it can't be adapted.)

The Borg-Warner replacement unit for RENIX works well, and costs somewhat less than the Bosch. Bosch sensors also work well, but with five rigs now, I've got to control my parts budget...

5-90

autozone.com said:
BOSCH OXYGEN SENSOR for a 1990 JEEP CHEROKEE 4WD

Unit Price: $54.99
Core Value*: $0.00
Part No.: 12009
napaonline.com said:
Item#: BSH12009

Price: $53.49
tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

Usually ships in 24 hours.

Attributes:
# of Connectors:1
# of Wires:3
Additional Contents:Unit only
Heated or Unheated:Unheated
Type of Packaging:Box
Wire Length:10.827
internet

I'm on bosch sensor #3 12009 and i'm still not getting a signal voltage that bounces above and below 2.5volts. I was concerned that I wasn't getting the right sensor but aparantly i have the right one... i just don't know why it's not working correctly.

PLEASE see link in above reply for more info...

Thanks
Adam

I may need to know more, I'll reread that thread and see if I can pick anything else up.

Pretty much all EGO sensors use the same size thread - M18x1.5, IIRC - so that's not at issue.

The reason I say NOT to use "universals" with RENIX electronics is simple - they don't work the same way.

The "common" HEGO sensor is a "voltage-generating" type, and it generates a varying voltage is response to comparisons between exhaust gas oxygen content and ambient air oxygen content. This voltage typically varies from 0-5VDC (wide range, but about 1.5-4.0VDC in operation, with 2.5 being spot on,) which signal is then read by the ECU.

The RENIX HEGO sensor is a "variable resistance" type, which is used in a voltage divider circuit fed by a reference voltage (5.0VDC) regulated by the ECU. Using a "voltage generating" type in place of the "variable resistance" type will cause feedback in the reference voltage circuit and false signalling (the current is low enough that it should not damage the reference voltage regulator, but why take chances?)

The RENIX sensor does NOT generate a measurable voltage, and I don't know what the resistance range in operation (I haven't read it anywhere, and I haven't set up a test circuit yet to figure it out.) Typically, you just test the heater circuit with a meter.

I'll read the other thread referenced there, and see if I can contribute anything useful there as well - but this is more informational than anything else. Just trying to help you figure out the difference between the RENIX and ChryCo systems (ChryCo uses a "voltage generating" HEGO sensor, while RENIX uses the "variable resistance.")

5-90

Back