• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DAM THESE BRAKES

thobson

NAXJA Forum User
So I've searched and searched and cant really find the answer I need. While installing my front brake lines I have managed to round off the bolt that connects the hard line to the rubber line. I have blasted them with liquid wrench mulitiple times but it jsut rounded it away. I used the proper size box wrench and it didn't help just rounded it then I moved onto vise grips and cant get them loose. I talked to the guys at jeep and they don't make the hard line for my xj anymore so I can't just pull out all the line. But the guy did say that you can pull the screw off that screws into the rubber line buy a new one and then reflange the bottom of the hard line. Does anyone know how to do this or can give me somemore info on what I can do. Also while searching I read about a flange box wrench but it sounded like a tool to take the line of before it rounded out, what exactly does this tool do?

In reference to the "flange box wrench" ...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5125

Just use a tubing cutter and cut the line just above the damaged coupler. Slide a new coupler nut onto the tubing, and reflare using a double flaring tool. Sometimes, if the tubing is old, it becomes brittle and it's hard to get a good flare, but it can be done. If you cannot get a good double flare on the end of your old line, buy a new length of tubing, rebend it, and replace your old line.

Les

Last edited:
you put the tubing into the collar that holds it, then you screw the pointy piece down into the tubing. THe pointy piece mushrooms out the tubing into the collar.
Sorry I don't know the technical terms, it's not too terribly difficult, but it may take a few tries to get it right.

Practice with some tubing of the same size before you do the one on the jeep. A 3ft piece of tube might run $1.90 or so.. been a while since I bought any so it might be $2 something now.. and while you are playing also pick up a bender and practice that too.... the bender might cost $5 at AZ... you will also need a pipe cutter, little thing that that you tighten down on the tube, tighten, spin around, tighten, sping around, etc till the tube cuts, no you don't use a hack saw on it...

Back