• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Martha Focken" window

flexjay87

NAXJA Forum User
many old posts on this subject, but i want to express my displeasure on the IDIOT who designed the window crank mechanisims on xj's, what a bonehead, where'd this guy get his engineering degree at?

sorry for the late reply, i went back out in the garage. well this screw type system seems kind of goofy to me. it's a simple design, or just cheap. seems like a lot of people have had problems with it. don't get me wrong, i have no illusions that jeeps of any vintage are great quality rigs. they have done some really stupid things over the years, like getting influenced by France, but hey all companies have crap at sometime and hire people who are less than stellar. it's hot and humid outside and that contributes to a short fuse on my part while working on stuff.

Don't feel bad, I'm having problems with my passenger side window too. If you roll it all the way down it falls to the bottom, requiring me to pop the door panel and slide it up a hair til it catches. Problem is, I can't figure out for the life of me how to take the crank off, making complete removal impossible. For now, I just tell my passenger not to roll down the window, but I don't think that'll work once summer hits full swing here :(

Pat

throw your doors in the trash. Only a little bit of rain gets in when your doing 90 mph, youll love it.

Ben H said:
throw your doors in the trash. Only a little bit of rain gets in when your doing 90 mph, youll love it.
No, a lot of rain gets in when you're on the freeway. It even rains off the ceiling if you don't have a headliner. But you'll still love it.

Mambeu said:
No, a lot of rain gets in when you're on the freeway. It even rains off the ceiling if you don't have a headliner. But you'll still love it.

you just got to throw the hook out there and wait for something to bite.

Phager said:
Don't feel bad, I'm having problems with my passenger side window too. If you roll it all the way down it falls to the bottom, requiring me to pop the door panel and slide it up a hair til it catches. Problem is, I can't figure out for the life of me how to take the crank off, making complete removal impossible. For now, I just tell my passenger not to roll down the window, but I don't think that'll work once summer hits full swing here :(

Pat
I had the same problem on my '88. The PO had tried to put a couple of tie-wraps on the end of the track to stop the window from dropping, but that didn't hold. About 2 weeks ago I posted my fix as a reply to "window tracks" originally posted by [email protected]. May be of some help to you, good luck!

Phager said:

Pat
Mine does the exact same thing, I put a piece of tape on the glass as a reference point. I'll get to fixing it someday.

scca28 said:
I had the same problem on my '88. The PO had tried to put a couple of tie-wraps on the end of the track to stop the window from dropping, but that didn't hold. About 2 weeks ago I posted my fix as a reply to "window tracks" originally posted by [email protected]. May be of some help to you, good luck!

That looks like something I'll have to try, thanks. So my only other question is how do I get the dang crank if the door panel? It looks like a press on type of deal, but I can't seem to pry it loose. Do I need a special tool to do it?

Thanks
Pat

I fixed the problem by cutting a section of 3/8 id fule hose the requirered length. Just a bit longer than where the cranking mech still held the window. I sliced the hose and put it over the cable guide that lifts and lowers the glass at the lowest point I could and then put a hose clamp to keep it there. so far now problems. except thr lower portion on the trim panel is perminently distorted from haveing to pull it out to lift the glass.

The cranks on my 88 MJ just press on. There may be a little clip also. I just pry on two sides of the crank.

Fred

Thanks Fred, I sort of figured that it just required prying off, I was just worried about breaking it and not being able to roll the window up. If I break it I can always get a new one, I need a new door panel anyway since the PO put a nice size hole in it when he put in speakers in the door. Anyone know if four door XJ panels will fit on an MJ?

Thanks,
Pat

Cool, everything I seen indicates there the same doors, but I like to make sure. Thing is, there's tons of 4 door XJs in the yards around here, but not too many MJs.

Thanks for the help!

Pat

Back