• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CONVERTING TO 4WD

I tried to search but did not find anything. I have a 96 xj with an automatic and I am really thinking about trying to convert it. I am just not sure what it will require. Front axle, shaft, transfer case and linkage for the tranfer case shifter. Has anybody done this... any ideah of how much it will cost. Also would I need to use parts from around the same year ? Any help would be appreciated

You also need a 4wd transmission!

The output shaft and housing are different.You could convert the existing trans but it reqires a complete disassembly of the trans since the output shaft is the last part to get at.Aw4's dont always take well to rebuilding!

Last edited:
No, you do need a new tranny. The tranny and Tcase also need to have the same spline count.

I have the same year with AW4 and 2wd and bought a 87 with AW4, NP242, and D30 for $200. So deals are out there, but buy a whole vehicle if you are trying to save money.

You also need the Tcase faceplate and another rear shaft.

Jesse

I just started the same project , I have finished part one of the install since i could not do it all one weekend I installed the trans and transfercase first , next will be the front diff and all the vacuum lines and new brakes for the front as well as a rear disc conversion on the rear with a zj booster just to add more work to the mix,

you definatly have to change trannys.......

the output shaft is like 8" too long on the 2wd one

where is huntingdon beach.....

i was thinking of going 4wd->2wd

What is the better transfer case ? I am pissed because my little brother just sold an 89 for like $200 a few months ago... at time I had nowhere to put it. I am moving next month and finally getting a garage so I am ready to start accumilating parts. I want to end up with 33s so would the d30 be tough enough ?

noresttill said:
I kept my "2wd" newer brakes by just swapping knuckles

the front diff is from a 89 and my 2wd is 93 which does not have a bolt on knuckle the rotors calipers are all different on my donor vehicle

vette75406 said:
the front diff is from a 89 and my 2wd is 93 which does not have a bolt on knuckle the rotors calipers are all different on my donor vehicle

Exactly, take the knuckles off of the 93, put them on the 89. Then the brakes for the 93 will fit. I had 96 brakes and put them on an 87 D30.

PS. use a sledge to get those knucks off, they are on pretty good

Jesse

Back