• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Glazed Pads, Stuck Caliper?

gregmondro

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, the Jeep has been taking a while to stop before it comes to a complete stop. Also, when you're on a hill and have to reverse down and have to use the brake to hold you on the hill, it's been pretty ****ty to say the least. My assumption was that I needed new brake pads.

So I went and bought some new pads last Friday, took off the wheels and brakes Saturday to check them, and to my suprise the pads on the Jeep currently still have a ton of pad life, they just were glazed.

I scraped them back up so they aren't glazed anymore, but I noticed something, when I took off the wheel the pad was already touching the rotor. It's been a while since i've had to do brakes, but when the Jeep is in park with just the emergency brake to lock the rear brakes, should the front pads be touching the rotor?

This may be the reason my pads were glazed, so I pulled everything out, cleaned up the calipers, and lubed them on the parts where they need to be (slide bolt, the part of the pads that touches the caliper, etc, and made sure not to get any lube on spots where it shouldn't be.) I cleaned up the rotors with some brake cleaner and tossed them back on. The piston didn't have any problem getting pushed in when a c-clamp when I pushed it back in, so I'm pretty sure it's not frozen.

After this I went and bedded the pads again (the 10 stop thing from 40, wait 10 minutes, repeat).

Now the Jeep feels the exact same.

I'm sure i'm not low on brake fluid (it's right where it's supposed to be on the level indicator on the brake resivour).

so what gives? Like I said, could the calipers be stuck just just enough where the pads are touching the rotor and glazing, but not entirely locking up??

gregmondro said:
Hey guys, the Jeep has been taking a while to stop before it comes to a complete stop. Also, when you're on a hill and have to reverse down and have to use the brake to hold you on the hill, it's been pretty ****ty to say the least. My assumption was that I needed new brake pads.

So I went and bought some new pads last Friday, took off the wheels and brakes Saturday to check them, and to my suprise the pads on the Jeep currently still have a ton of pad life, they just were glazed.

I scraped them back up so they aren't glazed anymore, but I noticed something, when I took off the wheel the pad was already touching the rotor. It's been a while since i've had to do brakes, but when the Jeep is in park with just the emergency brake to lock the rear brakes, should the front pads be touching the rotor?

This may be the reason my pads were glazed, so I pulled everything out, cleaned up the calipers, and lubed them on the parts where they need to be (slide bolt, the part of the pads that touches the caliper, etc, and made sure not to get any lube on spots where it shouldn't be.) I cleaned up the rotors with some brake cleaner and tossed them back on. The piston didn't have any problem getting pushed in when a c-clamp when I pushed it back in, so I'm pretty sure it's not frozen.

After this I went and bedded the pads again (the 10 stop thing from 40, wait 10 minutes, repeat).

Now the Jeep feels the exact same.

I'm sure i'm not low on brake fluid (it's right where it's supposed to be on the level indicator on the brake resivour).

so what gives? Like I said, could the calipers be stuck just just enough where the pads are touching the rotor and glazing, but not entirely locking up??
from what i was told, you get glazed pads from stopping hard and fast on new pads OR doing it too often. My old XJ had the same problem, when I stopped being "hard" on the brakes, it stopped alot better. But what do I know.

I doubt that's the problem in my case. I don't stop hard or anything like that. The Jeep doesn't get good enough gas mileage to get up to speed to have to slam on the brakes :p

I am running 35s however.

gregmondro said:
I doubt that's the problem in my case. I don't stop hard or anything like that. The Jeep doesn't get good enough gas mileage to get up to speed to have to slam on the brakes :p

I am running 35s however.
you dont have to be doing 85, and im sure the 35's aren't helping. IT also may be cheap pads.

If you glaze the pads on accident, but drive normally for thousands of miles, it will do the same as pulling and roughing up the surface right? I think I broke mine in a little too aggressively. It has been probably 5,000 miles since then though.

Back