• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Increased My XJ Gas Mileage To Over 20 MPG

stlouisboy63 said:
Is anyone interested on what I did to go from 15mpg up to 17mpg to currently 23mpg on a 1990 XJ?

If it means biting into the "I have a secret" attitude, no, not particularly.

broke up with a 500 pound girlfriend?

This doesn't involve some new "miracle" fuel additive or fuel-line magnets that you just happen to sell on your website does it?

Well it's been a process of trying to get some more HP out of it as well as increasing MPG. My original jump came 2 yrs ago when I bought a high flow tube and air filter off of ebay (it was about $50) and a 160 degree therostat. I picked up some power and went from 15 to 17mpg (of course I did the normal things like the intake cleaner in the gas tank and synthetic oil in the crankcase.

But my big jump came about 2 months ago when I decided to give it a good tune up. I started out by replacing all of my major hot and ground wires under the hood (Wal-Marts 2 guage battery wire is almost 600 strands of twisted wire and cheap, just cut them to size). This didn't make a noticable change in MPG but my windows started going up faster and my headlights were brighter. This has to mean more voltage to the coil. I then started to replace plugs, wires, and cap and rotor. I decided the more electricity the better the burn in the cylinder. I bought Excel 300+ wires that have only 150 ohms of resistance per foot (these list for over $100 but I bought a brand new set off of ebay for only $50). I also used platinum plugs which I thought were just as good as the Iridiums. And then I finished it up with the best cap and rotor autozone has (I compared it to Excel and all the important features are there which most importantly brass posts). All total about $100.

I've also realized that my xj with 135,000 miles likes a mid grade 89 octane gas over regular 87 octane (I still come out ahead with the increased mpg). And I've saved about $35 in fuel cost over the last 2 months. 4 more months my upgrades are paid for and then it's all savings!

Oh and by the way, the increased HP gets my boat (3000lbs) and jeep up to 60 mph by the time I'm getting on the highway (on the average grade ramp). This is a bonus that makes the price of the upgrades well worth it.

so you did a tune up, got more economy out of it, and had to share?

imma honky said:
I farted one time and it increased my speed by about 10 MPH.

thats impressive!

imma honky said:
I farted one time and it increased my speed by about 10 MPH.

yeah but it killed a small family in the Geo Metro behind you, which the Semi behind it rammed into, killing an additional 16 people in 9 other vehicles behind it.

Way to go.

red91inWA said:
yeah but it killed a small family in the Geo Metro behind you, which the Semi behind it rammed into, killing an additional 16 people in 9 other vehicles behind it.

Way to go.
THAT was not my fault!:passgas:
:eyes:
Taco bell will do it to ya.

i was reading this, got really excited, and then realized my 2000 doesnt get a new distributor or wires because its all a rail that cost $$$$$ to replace, im very happy you have to replace all that stuff

Back