• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TIMING CHAIN RATTLE

tag

NAXJA Forum User
HI ALL

Iv'e just bought a 2.5 petrol cherokee sport it ran sweet till a few days ago! it now has a anoying rattle coming from the timing chain area. this came on suddenly iv'e been told the tensioner may have come adrift. so have orderd new chain, tensioner, sprockets, gasket set, how hard is this to change? am i on the right track, and is this common on the 2.5,

If the engine has a high mileage it's certainly possible so I do think you're on the right track. It's not too hard to change but the most difficult parts of the job will be to remove the clutch fan and the harmonic balancer. You can add a new HB to your list of replacement parts as these are known to separate at the rubber sandwich with high mileages.

Got the same thing going in my MJ. It's been doing it for about the last 20K miles :laugh3: I can remember the exact day and location when it started doing it.

There was another 2.5 MJ that pulled up to me at a stoplight last fall suffering from the same affliction. Must be more common than I thought.

Gonna fix it soon, but I can say thus far it hasn't really affected anything. 170K and going strong (well, as strong as a 2.5L can hope to anyway:))

thanx guys. im new to jeep so all coments are welcome, by the way whats a HB ? iv'e had 4x4s in the past landrover etc but fancied a jeep this time. cheers.........

tag said:
just thought do you mean the harmonic balancer (crank pully)..........
that's what they meant. it's two pulley pieces held together with some rubber in the middle. When it seperates it generally chews up belts. You may as well replace it if your dont the timing chain, as it has to come off anyway.

langer1 said:
Also When it seperates it rubs the chain cover and sounds like a bad timing chain noise.

Also when the rubber separates it can cut right through the timing chain cover...I was lucky and changed mine in time.

likely the door lock isn't getting any power. Check the wires where they go from the door to the pillar. All the flexing over the years may have cracked/broken the wires.

Back