• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size is the 231 drain plug?

DaJudge

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I want to put some kind of valve or something in to replace the plug because of my skid plate being in the way. I don't have any way to accurately measure the diameter of the plug with it still in the X-fer case.

The XJ is an '01.

Thanks!

Glen

Thanks! But are you talking about the socket size? I need to know the actually size of the plug/hole so I can replace it.

Thanks for the response though!

Glen

C'mon guys...Somebody has to know! I am trying to avoid taking it out and then having to clean up so I can run to the hardware store in the wifes car.

Isn't the fill plug the same size? I seem to remember having them both out and having to guess which one was which. You could measure the fill plug without having to change clothes.

Good idea! I will look at that!

I'd just get one from the dealer, that aluminum case might have a galvanic reaction if you used steel plugs then you will never get the buggers out again.
One of the transfer case companies has a set that is connected by short piece of hose, that way you can visually see the level of the fluid in the case. Noticed it at our last bmja meeting when quadratec had their booth setup.

XgeekstarX said:
vice grips

I will cut you some slack since your from Polk County and probably illiterate but 'vice grips' is not a size.

Thanks Langer1! Off to the hardware store!

Depending on the make of skid plate you have, there's a simpler solution to changing your tcase oil without making a big mess....

Get an aluminum pie pan, and poke a series of holes in a about a 2 inch cluster at one end of the base, where the base meets the edge of the pie pan.

Now place your pie pan on TOP of your skid plate with the edge of the pan (with the holes) hanging just over the edge of the skid plate. Position the pan under the skid plate so that when you remove the drain plug; the oil will pour into the pie pan, which in turn will drain through the holes you poked, into in oil catcher below.....

DaJudge said:
I will cut you some slack since your from Polk County and probably illiterate but 'vice grips' is not a size.

Thanks Langer1! Off to the hardware store!

Bullshit!

Vice Grips
Big F'n Channel Locks
Huge Cresent Wrench

They're all applicable sizes.

GSequoia said:
Bullshit!

Vice Grips
Big F'n Channel Locks
Huge Cresent Wrench

97+ XJ 231's have flush mounted fill and drain plugs that use a hex to remove and put em back, you can't grab it with your choices..

GSequoia said:
Bullshit!

Vice Grips
Big F'n Channel Locks
Huge Cresent Wrench

Except they are not relavent to my question! I didn't ask how to get it off. I asked what size the plug was. Thanks to you guys who gave me that info!
And for the other suggestions and those of you who gave valid answers to the 'which wrench' even though that wasn't the question. I appreciate the effort.

Glen

Back