• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airsoft pellets + Fix-a-flat = Bad

zthang43

NAXJA Forum User
Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone using the airsoft pellets; I hadn't thought of it before.
I was using airsoft pellets in my 32's for balancing, it worked OK but not great. The other day I noticed I had a slow leak in one tire, so I put in a can of Fix-a-flat, which fixed the leak.

When I drove it on the freeway yesterday it felt like one tire was really badly out of balance, so in frustration I took it to the tire shop to get the beads removed.

It turns out that the Fix-a-flat glued all the beads together in one spot on the tire, so they wouldn't balance properly.

thanks for the heads up

:D

:nono: Fix-a-flat flat out equals bad (no pun intended). Makes a mess inside the tire and rim. Fix-it-right.

safetyseal.jpg

The only fix a flat you should have..

fix a flat is geigh.
I dunno if its still true but the stuff they use to inflate the tire is flammable, so use your imagination.
I assume that in this super lawsuit safety world that its no longer flammable

creeperjeep said:
fix a flat is geigh.
I dunno if its still true but the stuff they use to inflate the tire is flammable, so use your imagination.
I assume that in this super lawsuit safety world that its no longer flammable

You say that.. but it still took them 15 years to change 'Silly String' after it was discovered that not only is it flammable, but shoots 18 feet and sticks..

More than a few birthday partys went very, very wrong..

cal said:
safetyseal.jpg

The only fix a flat you should have..
DON'T EVER use fix a flat. It can eat the lining off your rims and is more toxic than you think, and stinks. Plug it and be done with it.

Yeah, I know the fix a flat and airsoft beads combination sounds like common sense; it just didn't occur to me at the time. Once I realized what I'd done though, I thought "Duh!".

I've heard plenty of bad remarks about fix a flat, but I haven't found anything else that will seal up a bead with a slow leak. It seems like every time I go wheeling around here with my tires aired down some (about 15 psi) I get some dirt or something in the bead and develop a slow leak. Obviously the right thing to do is pull the tire off and clean the bead, but I don't have the time or money to do that every couple weeks. Fix a flat works just fine for that (as long as there aren't any airsoft pellets in the tire!); and I only have to put it in once and that tire never leaks again.

BTW, I've tried shooting the fix a flat through a flame; doesn't seem to do anything, the kind I bought evidently isn't flammable.

zthang43 said:
Yeah, I know the fix a flat and airsoft beads combination sounds like common sense; it just didn't occur to me at the time. Once I realized what I'd done though, I thought "Duh!".

I've heard plenty of bad remarks about fix a flat, but I haven't found anything else that will seal up a bead with a slow leak. It seems like every time I go wheeling around here with my tires aired down some (about 15 psi) I get some dirt or something in the bead and develop a slow leak. Obviously the right thing to do is pull the tire off and clean the bead, but I don't have the time or money to do that every couple weeks. Fix a flat works just fine for that (as long as there aren't any airsoft pellets in the tire!); and I only have to put it in once and that tire never leaks again.

BTW, I've tried shooting the fix a flat through a flame; doesn't seem to do anything, the kind I bought evidently isn't flammable.
Bead leaks can be fixed by popping the bead off and applying some "bead sealer". It's a tar-like compound and works great! You CAN do it yourself (as long as you can air it back up) or any tire shop can do it. Just clean, apply, and reseal. We used the stuff on wheels/tires from honduhs to ditch witches.

Where do you get this bead sealer stuff, the tire stores or walmart?

Sounds like a good alternative to fix a flat for what I need; although I would have to figure out an easy way to pop the bead loose. I haven't bucked up the cash for a set of those aussie Tyreplyers yet, they look pretty cool.

just use a highlift and your bumper to break the bead.

It also impregnates itself into the rubber, preventing any vulcanizing fluid from sticking. So if you ever plan on having a tire shop repair a flat from a nail, etc..., with a patch inside, think again.

1996cc said:
It also impregnates itself into the rubber, preventing any vulcanizing fluid from sticking. So if you ever plan on having a tire shop repair a flat from a nail, etc..., with a patch inside, think again.
SPOBI
A shop with PROPER tools CAN fix it. I did dozens of em.

what nooone is mentioning is that fixaflat will NOT fix a bead leak. centrifigal force [or is it centripetal, I can never remember] force pulls it away from where it's needed in terms of a bead leak.

burntkat said:
what nooone is mentioning is that fixaflat will NOT fix a bead leak. centrifigal force [or is it centripetal, I can never remember] force pulls it away from where it's needed in terms of a bead leak.
Actually it will slow it down, unless there is a chunk missing. During initial "take off" the goo spreads and sticks everywhere inside the tire. True bead sealer is really the only thing that will fix a bead leak.
Here is my order:
plug
bigger plug
patch
patch plug (it's a one piece if you've never seen one)
new tire
Use bead sealer or bead leaks

Fix a flat also throws the balance of the tire off AND can warp the tire if left in long enough.

Back