• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting hot at idle

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ with only 86k miles. Within the last year I have replaced the radiator with a Modine 2 row, the water pump, thermostat, all the coolant hoses, and of course, new coolant.

Normally it runs fine and the temp wont creep up at slow speeds or idling. Recently it just started doing this. I'll heat up until the aux fan kicks on.

I have done a search and most things point to my fan clutch is in need of replacement. I did the fan clutch test and it will move very little when spun by hand. It seems nice and tight. My question is, is there anything else besides the fan clutch that would cause my overheating as I have described?

How old is the fan clutch? When cold, it will usually have some resistance, which should actually INCREASE as it gets hotter. However, I have noted that fan clutches seem to have a service life of only 3-4 years on XJ's, regardless of brand. So, you're probably due for replacing it anyhow - date and initial it when you do, so you can keep track for next time (and engraver or a Sharpie pen will work well for this.)

Note - you might need a little more room than you have - you should be able to get it by unbolting the upper radiator bracket and tilting the radiator forward an inch and a half or so. You won't need to disconnect any hoses to do this - just tilt the radiator forward a bit.

5-90

Well the fan clutch is about 10 years and 86k miles old. I was under the impression they usually last 125k miles or so? On my old Jeep the fan clutch went at around 175k and it was a 13 or 14 years old by then.

But at least it sounds like a simple job. Is this part something I am going to want to buy from the dealer?

5-90 said:
How old is the fan clutch? When cold, it will usually have some resistance, which should actually INCREASE as it gets hotter. However, I have noted that fan clutches seem to have a service life of only 3-4 years on XJ's, regardless of brand. So, you're probably due for replacing it anyhow - date and initial it when you do, so you can keep track for next time (and engraver or a Sharpie pen will work well for this.)

I suggest you get rid of the clutch fan altogether and replace it with a second electric fan. I did this nearly 6 years ago and the mod has worked so well for me that I'd never go back to the clutch fan again. To me, it's nothing more than a 5lb horsepower and fuel-sucking paperweight. Here's my write-up:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html

Remember that I also live in one of the hottest places on Earth so I've had six boiling hot summers in which to test my electric fan conversion!

5-90 said:
Note - you might need a little more room than you have - you should be able to get it by unbolting the upper radiator bracket and tilting the radiator forward an inch and a half or so. You won't need to disconnect any hoses to do this - just tilt the radiator forward a bit.

5-90

I just put on in my '95 without having to touch the rad. Do the '96+ have something different up there?

Back