• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 in blocks ?

lrsmithwhaley

NAXJA Forum User
I am lifting my Jeep on monday and I am using blocks(for about a month till I get my S-10 leaves ready). I need to go up 2 in this next week, and blocks are the cheapest(i.e. I can get some for free). My question is are the u-bolts that come in the kits from Autozone, and advanced auto the right diameter and length to use? Thanks, and sorry for the noob ?

If you're going to have an S-10 leaf pack in a month, I'd really recommend that you wait until then to lift your Jeep. Blocks are not only dangerous, they'll kill your soft stock springs.

ur just hankerin to get yelled at arent ya lol

to lift you two inches, yea the u bolts will probably work. i personally wouldnt trust any autozone lift equipment. besides this is your rig man your life is inside it. id spend the extra 50 bucks on shackles (or a little more for a helper spring) to better protect myself.

your most likely going to get a lot of nooooo dont do blocks.

i agree..

Where is the best place to get quality u-bolts/ new centering pin cheap? Also what about the shackle? I would prefer an AAL, but I can get blocks for free, and I need to replace these springs this week(I have 2 sets of leafs), because mine are sagging 2in(I did measure them) before I go off-road again in a week.

no, IIRC, the Autozone junk ubolts are grade 5 and for 3" axle tubes. so if its a dana 35, it will be to big, they wont fit right anyways if it is a Chry8.25. dont do it. either get some grade 8's from a good place ie. RE, JKS, etc. or wait untill you get the s10 pack

You'll see a lot of comments (if you search) making it sound like you simply have to drop by your local driveline/spring shop to pick up custom u-bolts. It's not always as simple as it sounds. In Toledo there are only two decent shops for that kind of stuff, which still completely amazes me. Check the phone book under "suspension," "spring(s)," or even "auto body shop." If anything, you'll find someone on the phone who can tell you who to call, or call the library and explain what you need to find. It's their job to find what you need.

if you think your leafs are sagging now, wait till you wheel with the blocks on....
ouch just lookin for some inverted springs.
id say hold off on the wheeling until you get the s10 springs is or save up for some full packs (or the add a leaf if you really wanna save money)

my favorite quote for this type of situation is
"dont half a$$ your half ton"

Looks, like I will be spending the extra money to get custom u-bolts($12 a piece) and getting new centering pins. Now to find a decent AAL quickly.

If you have two sets of leafs and you are buying custom length u-bolts anyway, just start mixing and matching what you have to come up with the right height. I know this has been covered a bunch of times in the past.

Mambeu said:
If you're going to have an S-10 leaf pack in a month, I'd really recommend that you wait until then to lift your Jeep. Blocks are not only dangerous, they'll kill your soft stock springs.

Blocks Blow. I use to think they were ok built 3 other trucks w/them & never had a problem but heard all the stories about breaking couldn't be because I never saw it. Then 1 day I broke a block in the XJ causing the pumpkin to point to the sky taking out the drive shaft. I will never use nor suggest blocks again.

Rob $.02

yea, if you have a couple sets, just use the non sagging 2nd and third leaves, maybe even throw in a fourth and remember to clamp em about halfway up on each side youll get at least two inches

I personally have nothing against small blocks (as in 2" or less), used to have 2.5" blocks on the rear of my s10 blazer that had 63" 1/2 ton chevy springs in the rear, no noticable increase in wrap, though I hear XJ leafs are way soft and will prob be ruined with blocks, I should know, I ran beefed up xj leafs on the front of my SFA converted blazer for a couple months and were wwwaaaaaayyy soft. What I was going to say though was Im pretty sure those autozone blocks are meant for LOWERING a truck with a spring under configuration, and are not meant to hold the weight of a truck, and I think they are aluminum (YIKES!), stay away!
-Jerry

I went down to my local spring shop, and I am started on making new leaf packs. They cut the springs, and arched them for me. Now all I gotta do is install them.

Back