• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AFTER the engine was flooded

feerocknok

NAXJA Forum User
I've been working on my buddy's '99, so excuse me if I name anything wrong. It's not mine.

It's a '99 with the I-6 and AW4.

Quick happenings:
K&N cone filter sucked in a gallon of water.
Flat towed it about 15 miles. Tranny and T-Case in neutral.
Too much water in the engine to crank.
Pulled the plugs and cranked it to get water out.
Shop vacced cylinders and intake manifold.
Cleaned plugs, distributor, rotor, and ends of wires.
Blow Dryer used on everything
Liberal use of starting fluid.
Engine starts.

Problem:
In second gear, only in second, at between 1950-2500 RPMs there's a gargle in engine speed. Also, while coming to a stop, it dies.

Sound while driving:
Bwaaaeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-bwaaaaaaeeeee-gargle-eeiiiiiiiiii-bwaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeiiii-bwaaaaeeeeeeiiiiii.

Solutions?
Maybe moistures still somewhere?

There turns out to be water in the oil and tranny fluid. It wasn't there before, think it got in while we were running it. Would that trip a sensor?

Bwaaaeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-bwaaaaaaeeeee-gargle-eeiiiiiiiiii-bwaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeiiii-bwaaaaeeeeeeiiiiii.

scary thing is i actually tried making that sound several times and I think I can almost hear it running.
HT

howardusa said:

scary thing is i actually tried making that sound several times and I think I can almost hear it running.
HT

Thank you.

After I swamped mine it was an Awsome Sound! It was so kool I drove it till the Cops made me stop! Kinda like a diesel. PS. two other trucks (both full size) sank that day; a regular day at the pool!

pitboss said:
After I swamped mine it was an Awsome Sound! It was so kool I drove it till the Cops made me stop! Kinda like a diesel. PS. two other trucks (both full size) sank that day; a regular day at the pool!
Lol, sounds healthy

Start saving money to replace most of the sensors. This happened to the 96 I just bought and I have changed the engine oil and filter four times, tranny seven times and the tranfer case twice and there was still water showing up until the last fluid change. My 02 sensor is bad and making me run very rich. Chugs a little at a stop sign and on idle.
Those fluids on the jeep you are working on should of been changed right after the hydrolock and before starting it and moving it. Plan on spending a good chunk of money on sensors, fluids, and possible replacement of some of the drivetrain parts. Lesson learned.

Kim.

Okay, tranny's okay, t-case is good, almost 100% of the water is gone from one oil change, but gonna do another, and one more in case.

Problem = bad sensor, I believe. When the sensor's disconnected, the engine runs smooth, but, being that it's not connected, the Jeep is gutless.

What sensor is this (the white one)?
P6160006.jpg

P6160005.jpg

P6160004.jpg

P6160003.jpg

P6160002.jpg

P6160001.jpg

So, it's the TPS. Thank you.

Do these sensors get tripped?
Our AutoZone is still in construction, can I get my computer checked anywhere else for free?
Can a replacement sensor be pulled from a junkyard if this one's bad? Off of what years?

Thank you all for all the help.

is that the K&N filter i always hear so much about???

whats the deal with that filter - is it really a performance upgrade? any effect on gas mileage??

Back