• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's without changing gear ratios?

4x4Fox

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possable to go with 33 tires with out changing ratios, and installing a slip yoke eleminator? I need to make a decision soon. 31's look small and 32's need to be special ordered. Both a still good options but would like the 33's with a 3" lift.

sure you can, but your gas mileage wil suck, and your trans will hate you.
Check the gearing questions sticky in mod tech.

i got a 4.5" rough country with 35's stock gearing. yea i might only get about 5 miles per gallon but hey im having fun still crawling rocks. i have NO sye but thats the next paycheck.

Smittty9785 said:
i got a 4.5" rough country with 35's stock gearing. yea i might only get about 5 miles per gallon but hey im having fun still crawling rocks. i have NO sye but thats the next paycheck.

lol 35s stock gears problem stock axles "rock crawling" "SNAP" count on alot of broken shit

Yeah you can do it but it's not fun.

Mine is at 3.55 and 33" swampers right now.

Already have D30/D44 geared to 4.88 and locked, just gotta find the time to swap them in.

I ran 32's on 3.55's which was ok...my gas mileage sucked and I was always dropping in and out of O/D on the freeway.... now I'm running the 33's / 4.56 combo and I love it...I get roughly 17 mpg on the freeway at 65, and great performance on the trail.

Thanks for all the info. As you can tell I'm new to the board So I will head over to the Mod Tech and search. I have a Aw-4 Auto /4.0L 6 HO motor will I still lose Power????

ChuckD said:
How, by using your starter! You have to be joking. :bs:

And 4x4fox, read and search the mod board.

ive taken it out alot and not using my starter but driving it
some people can drive a stick i guess you just dont know how

im not saying i havent lost alot of power it just w/ a 5speed i can pick my gear and run at higher rpms if i choose on the road

nickangus said:
ive taken it out alot and not using my starter but driving it
some people can drive a stick i guess you just dont know how

im not saying i havent lost alot of power it just w/ a 5speed i can pick my gear and run at higher rpms if i choose on the road

obviously you dont go off road. which is cool i guess. but FOX, i recomend keeping smaller tires or gearing.

Scrappy said:
obviously you dont go off road. which is cool i guess. but FOX, i recomend keeping smaller tires or gearing.

im more or less being cheap until i get a 44 for the rear hopefully in 2 weeks

i wasnt going to regear a d35 that would just be pointless

I know everyone here talk shit about the D35 but I have my D35 Locked/geared and with 33's and haven't had a single problem. I do wheel the Jeep, I wheel on Rocks/Sand/Mud. Not very often though. (maybe that's why I haven't broken it yet)
Anyway, I would stick with small tires or regear the D35.

HotChiliRam LoL! I'm more confussed now then when I started. I guess I will go with the 31's/32's for now and see what happens. I'm new at putting a xj togeather so I will take my time and learn from doing...many Thanks.

haha nothing broke yet just all my steering cause i got wedged in between a rock the size of a bus and the side of a mountain. its actually sitting in my front yard waiting for my big check to come in so i can have fun with my toy and builkd it.

Back