• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

13.50's & bad shake between 40-50 MPH

green50gt

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so 5 inches of lift, 13.50 TSL SX's on 10 wide aluminum wheels. At around 38-40 MPH an extremely noticible shake begins in the steering wheel, at about 45 the shake is almost violent, if you stick your head out the window, the entire front end is shaking, tires also. By 50 its pretty much is done. This can happen while accelerating, braking, turning, doesnt matter. Wheels are brand new, as are the tires, and are perfectly balanced. Trac bar appears to be tight.

What is going on here?

one test I hope to accomplish tonight is my buddy has some 31x10.50 TSL's, I am going to install them on the front and see if the same thing happens with a slightly skinnier tire.

Thanks, Derek

Sounds like death wobble or possibly a bent rim. Try a different set of tires and if the problem still exist, do a search for Death Wobble. Also, check if the tires are round, an out of round tire can cause this problem. Even new tires can be out of round.

might want to try swapping tires from front to back to see if ti's a tire issue. Other than that, jack up the front end and start checking everything for play.

Have swapped the front to the back and vice versa, same results. Tire shop didnt mention anything about the tires being out of round. The if you are watching the tires, they roll fine in any other range other than between 40 and 50.

One thing I should also note, when I first bought the Jeep(STOCK), I noticed that after you make a turn, and you are letting the steering wheel float back to strait, the steering will kinda kinda choppy. The best way I can explain "choppy" is it will go move back to center in small increments, stopping like every half inch, then starting again. Hopefully that makes sense. Its not smooth like any other vehicle. My buddy is a mechanic, and he said the steering system needed to be flushed as he though the fluid may have broken down. Might this be any indication of anything?

The real test will be tonight if I can throw my buddies 31x10.50's on.

Other thoughts?

check that your track bar is tight

also check your hubs

i had my drivers side hub go out on the freeway and when i poked my head out the window i could see the tire going nuts

are the SX's bias ply? id put money on it that they are your problem.

the steering issue may be a recall. i was looking for any recalls on my 95 and i saw a recall for an earlyer year. i can't remember what year but it was for "bad steering fluid, may have been contaminated at factory" i would check that out. if thats the problem the jeep dealer will fix it for free.

Whoever wanted to bet money it was the tires...start payin. I just threw 31x10.50 TSL's on Factory aluminum Ranger wheels on the front, and took it for a spin. The shake is not nearly as nasty, but very very noticeable again between 40-50 MPH. Then shuts off almost right at 50. However with stock 225/75/15's, I do not recall such a shake. So it has to have something to do with weight? It is a 98 model. It has skyjacker control arms, just a drop bracket for the trac bar, 4" skyjacker springs, 1" spacer, and Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks up front. Tie rods seem ok, Ball joints seem ok, trac bar is tight.

Could the sway bar have anything to do with it? I don't imagine it would, but just a thought. I am running STOCK sway bar end links as I havent scrounged up the money for discos. How about bad bushings? The control arms were used.

I guess unless anyone has any more ideas, im just gonna have to try a shop. Whatever it is, it is directly related to weight.

Theres your answer,Skycrapper everything,and 5" on short arms!
And not drop bracket but a POS re-location bracket!

Last edited:
green50gt said:
Whoever wanted to bet money it was the tires...start payin. I just threw 31x10.50 TSL's on Factory aluminum Ranger wheels on the front, and took it for a spin. The shake is not nearly as nasty, but very very noticeable again between 40-50 MPH. Then shuts off almost right at 50. However with stock 225/75/15's, I do not recall such a shake. So it has to have something to do with weight? It is a 98 model. It has skyjacker control arms, just a drop bracket for the trac bar, 4" skyjacker springs, 1" spacer, and Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks up front. Tie rods seem ok, Ball joints seem ok, trac bar is tight.

Could the sway bar have anything to do with it? I don't imagine it would, but just a thought. I am running STOCK sway bar end links as I havent scrounged up the money for discos. How about bad bushings? The control arms were used.

I guess unless anyone has any more ideas, im just gonna have to try a shop. Whatever it is, it is directly related to weight.

Double or nothing its the tires. You took swampers off and put on another set of swampers to try and cure the shaking? go stick on a set of balanced out 33" BFGs and see what happens.

Check the runout on the rear axle (bent axle shafts). Check the runout on the front hubs. One way to eliminate the rear: Lift rear end up and put on jack stands. Block front tires so vehicle can't roll. Startup and put in gear. Slowly increase speed and see if there is a vibration. also, check for tire wobble. You can do the same for the front end but you'll have to remove the rear drive shaft. :dunno:

olivedrabcj7 said:
Double or nothing its the tires. You took swampers off and put on another set of swampers to try and cure the shaking? go stick on a set of balanced out 33" BFGs and see what happens.

I'll take that bet, with a stock trackbar and 5", comeon. I bet he didn't have an alignment done and has no clue what is caster is or his toe.

Something has to set off the oscillation. It's happening at a certain speed and then going away is very characteristic of out of balance or out of round tires. Loose or worn suspension components will make it easier for such a shake to happen but arent likely to let it go away at a higher speed. My money is still on the tires.

olivedrabcj7 said:
Something has to set off the oscillation. It's happening at a certain speed and then going away is very characteristic of out of balance or out of round tires. Loose or worn suspension components will make it easier for such a shake to happen but arent likely to let it go away at a higher speed. My money is still on the tires.

I remember having some of the same exact symptoms with my MTR's and I had a really bad alignment, but good parts!

buddy got new(used) tires for his truck... went for a ride with him right after install and when he would drive between 40-50 it would do like you described the crazyest thing I have ever lived through lol but it would stop at higher or lower speeds and when I stuck my head out the window and the right front tire was shaking violently back and fourth up and down you know the deal and it ended up being that tire was junk...

i got rid of "death wobble" with a stabilizer shock, if its the stock one that thats probably it.

GreenbeltXJ said:
i got rid of "death wobble" with a stabilizer shock, if its the stock one that thats probably it.

That might work but it's a band aide fix. The problem is in the alignment, TRE's, Balljoints, Trac bar, etc.

I ran at 4.5 inches on stock steering without a steering stabilizer for a couple of years with no problems. FWIW... my $.02

Back