• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 part # needed.

AZRockRunner

Nobody
I am about to swap in my Ford 8.8 into my 90 XJ and I need the part number for the driveline U-joint adaptor that everyone says Ineed. I have searched and searched but cant find what to use exactly and where to get it.

Thanks ahead of time.

Wh ynot go with a real yoke rather than that silly, rock magnet flange? Inland Empire Driveline has them for a 1310 joint at a reasonable cost.

owned:dunce:I wish I had gone with that, DAMN ME FOR NOT FINDING YOU EARLIER...but back on topic, I agree with CRASH the flange is not that great, if I had knows about the yoke I would have gone with it

CRASH said:
Wh ynot go with a real yoke rather than that silly, rock magnet flange? Inland Empire Driveline has them for a 1310 joint at a reasonable cost.

Awsome feedback. But being a virgin to axle stuff, I am not clear on what replacing a " Yoke " intales. Do Ihave to take the axle apart? Do I need a shop to reset anything? I am a virgin to this so I am looking to answer all questions BEFORE I begin. Jeep goes under the knife next weekend for the 2 new axles and Rusty's 4.5" lift.

all you need to do is take the pinion nut off pull the old yoke off then slide the new yoke on and torque the nut down, nothing needs to be reset, but those pinion nuts are on there pretty good so wait until you have the tires on and sitting on the ground before you attempt it

TheHighHeat said:
all you need to do is take the pinion nut off pull the old yoke off then slide the new yoke on and torque the nut down, nothing needs to be reset, but those pinion nuts are on there pretty good so wait until you have the tires on and sitting on the ground before you attempt it

Unfortunately, with the 8.8, you are incorrect. The crush sleeve needs to be replaced or shimmed and retorqued. If you just crank down on the nut, your pinion pre-load is nearly guaranteed to be wrong.

On a Dana axle, your simple procedure would work fine, but for the 8.25 or 8.8. you need to know what you are doing when replacing a yoke, or servicing pinion bearings.

sweet, thanks for the assist. I will hopefully be stripping the old axles from it this weekend and starting the install process by next weekend. I will post and let everyone know how it goes.

CRASH said:
On some Dana axles, your simple procedure would work fine, but for the 8.25 or 8.8. you need to know what you are doing when replacing a yoke, or servicing pinion bearings.

Fixed it. ;)

Back