• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 swap D44 no lift searched

cajun01

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
Have been searching, can't find out exact answer. I have a 97 with a d35
no lift. I am swapping in a XJ D44. Which driveshaft do I use ? I have my stock shaft and the donor shaft. My question is because of the different tail shaft housings, pre 96 & post 96. Thanks for the help.
Chris

Use the D44's shaft. The D35's will be about an inch too long. Are the inputs of both driveshafts the same? If not, just swap them between the two shafts. One good thing about the 35>44 swap is that once you lift, use the D35 shaft instead of a SYE or Tcase drop. I have no tcase drop and 3.5" of lift adn the D35's longer shaft fits perfectly.

RyleyF said:
Use the D44's shaft. The D35's will be about an inch too long. Are the inputs of both driveshafts the same? If not, just swap them between the two shafts. One good thing about the 35>44 swap is that once you lift, use the D35 shaft instead of a SYE or Tcase drop. I have no tcase drop and 3.5" of lift adn the D35's longer shaft fits perfectly.
you can't use the 44 shaft on a 96+ XJ they use diffrent style slip yokes

Ok, guys: one yes, one no, one link that doesn't address my 96+ drive shaft issue. Sorry i'm still confused. I know I need to reuse my original yoke on the transfercase. My question is if I can use the drive shaft from the 1987 D44 cherokee or Do I need a different shaft. Everything I have found addressed this issue on a lifted xj. Mine now is still at stock height.

Thanks
Chris

cajun01 said:
My question is if I can use the drive shaft from the 1987 D44 cherokee or Do I need a different shaft.
Assuming that both your 97 and the 87 donor are 4.0/AW4, you need to use the driveshaft from that 87; the one off your 97 will be a little too long.

Back