• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker or Spool?

JIMBOJAMES

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting a Ford 8.8 rear real soon. I am gonna gear it for 4.88s gears. My XJ is my DD for now I want to get some kind of posi rear end setup.Right now I am running 33's but I want to get 36Iroks that is the reason for the 4.88s. So what would work better? Does anyone run a full spool on a DD?

spool will be harder on tires.
I like my detroit, I'm still geting used to it, but it's not nearly as noticeable as I thought it would be.

I'm thinking that I'll get a full spool in my front D44 when it goes in, but it will have selectable hubs. I don't think a spool in the rear of a DD would be a good idea, but I have no actual experience with one so don't really know.

i dont mind my spool so much anymore now that i'm running MT/Rs, i had swampers on it when i first spooled it and they just go too good traction and they didnt like to "slip/chirp" on corners.. and that made tight parking spot maneuvers a real BEOTCH.. it killed my tired rear springs because it would transfer all the twisting to them before it let the tires slip... this is on my 5 spd.. on the trail and regular driving i really like it.. just in the tight parking spot i have at home i hate the fuggin thing..

Know a guy who ran a spool in the rear and his tires wore out in about 6 months with about 100 miles a week. Auto tranny and 35's/4.56's I believe.
Believe I'll do the Detroit front and rear with lockout fronts, but I'm driving 60 to 100 miles a day (Iive in country, work in city). Considered ARB, but not convinced of reliability. Any suggestions for DD and lots a miles?

Mambeu said:
Why would the type of transmission make a difference?

a spool has no "back lash" or slop in it.. a detroit does.. it turns a small amount before it locks up.. perfect example is when you park in gear. it will roll a small amunt until it "locks" and stops the vehicle.. this "slop" is there when you apply power as well. an automatic will soften this "slop" but a manual trans will just put power to it faster and it will me noisy and a real pain in the ass to drive.. i'm sure someone out there will disagree but thats my opinion. the spool on my 5 spd is smooth and predicatble..

Weve got a welded diff in the Toyota axle,you can see the rubber coming off it on a daily basis,horrible on tires!

I run a mini spool in my rear Dana 44.

Advantages: Cheap, awesome traction, just like a locker, predictable on the street but on the long wheel base XJ with an auto that isnt much of problem.

Disadvantages: tire wear I have used up half of my Timberline MT's in 9 months (admittedly a very soft compound). I rotate every 1000 miles and limit it to 50 miles or less per week when possible except for wheeling trips. Its tough to parralel park (needs a lot of throttle when cranked over and the jumps back when it unloads). Hard on the springs. I run soft long travel soft springs and they wrap a lot so I inspect them monthly for cracks (none so far). The U bolts need tightened every few weeks due to all the wrap (yes I use locktite).

Bottom line: In two years what you save on a mini spool (let alone a full spool with set up costs) you will spend on tires, faster if you daily drive. I will be switching to a Detroit, ECTED or other part time or auto locker this winter (ECTED because I will be in Va with snow and ice).

John

Moot point.
Can't run a spool on an 8.8 unless you do a c-clip eliminator.

I have always had lockers Lockright/Detroit etc. At a moment of weakness I went to a spool. It's sweet on the trail, and thats about it. I wouldn't do it again but it's not bad enough to make me want to drop cash on a Detroit.

nosigma said:
Bottom line: In two years what you save on a mini spool (let alone a full spool with set up costs) you will spend on tires, faster if you daily drive. I will be switching to a Detroit, ECTED or other part time or auto locker this winter (ECTED because I will be in Va with snow and ice).

John
dont waste your money on a ected, i wheeled with 2 peaple on this board at Nac Fest that had ecteds and they kept on havin problems with theres not engaging.

robz95xj said:
there are mini spools out there
I'd never put a mini spool in an 8.8.
A mini spool puts all the pressure on the center pin and carrier, both weak points in an 8.8.
You'd be better off welding the spiders to the carrier. At least you'd be speading out the load over the whole thing, ala full spool.

In rear applications I've had a couple Detroits on different vehicles. I'd say if you run an automatic transmission, a Detroit's not a problem. A stick shift accentuates the handling quirks of a Detroit in the rear, especially when shifting to 2nd while starting off around a curve. I don't like the Detroit at all in the rear with a 5sd. I love the Detroit in the front though, for everything except high speed whoops, but even then it's not that bad.

Back