• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake frustrations.

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
Working on the brakes on the XJ last night was frustrating. (89 w/o ABS)

Pedal was low so I got the rear brakes adjusted up and bled them. Pedal back up and good and firm.

Front brakes work great.

Rear brakes will barely stop the rear tires idling in N with the tires off the ground. shoes look good, replaced cylinders, still no go.

My only thought at this point that makes sense is a bad lining in the hose going from the body to the axle. I get good flow when bleeding the brakes, but maybe when under pressure the lining blocks it off. I have had this happen on front lines before anyway.

I would think that if the MC was going bad the pedal would not be firm and would drop.

Any other ideas?

shoes are adjusted up to where they are dragging when not applied. Hard to get them both exact with a welded diff, but there is a good amount of resistance to spinning the drums by hand.

I'm on my third rear end on my xj, and my rear brakes have always been that way - even when i was still stock.

Disc brakes in the rear is the way to go..

Don't have any E-brakes. I hasn't had cables on it for years now.

I will check the prop valve, but will put a different hose on it first since it is easier. If I were to need a new prop is that a dealer only item or can a parts house get one?

Just seems strange that I can make a good stream of fluid squirt out of a bleeder 6 inches but cannot get enough pressure to make the brakes work. So maybe the prop valve is messed up and not sending enough pressure to the rear. I do have a valve on my parts rig out in the pasture I guess.

At least the pedal is back up higher. When in 4x4 with the front and rear difs locked the front brakes stop both axles anyway.

Back