• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

800 lb. canary chrups when clutch is pushed in ???

TGFH

NAXJA Forum User
Sounds like an 800 lb. canary chrups when clutch is pushed in or released. It works fine - but when it gets hot after driving for awhile the noise starts. I have climbed under and it's coming from inside the clutch so I can't really find a place to oil anything. Release bearing? But that was replaced with a newer one when I swapped the 4x4 system. And it was happening before the swap too. Anyone got any ideas to help me shoot that 800 lb. canary?

I think that there is a brass pilot bearing / bushing that the transmission shaft slides into. It can make a noise such as you describe.

thow out bearing

been out trying to get my XJ running again. Had to have my baby towed for the first time. Stumbled at idle a few times, restarted and then died and nothing - not even a click. All electrics worked. Since I was alone and any pushing was up hill - and I was pissed! I called a tow. ARRRGH! Ended up being a short in the starter. The 800 lb. canary is still there too. AND I just did a 4x4 swap 2 months ago too - and didn't change the clutch cuz everything looked good. Crap. If I have to open it up - I'll change eveything.

- thanks for the info on my canary.

Back