• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking in front end

TomH

NAXJA Forum User
This has been driving me crazy for some time. I have a clicking in the front end on the passenger side. You can feel it in the floor board. It doesn't happen all the time, but mostly on the trail or in town.

I have replaced the hub assembly which was bad. The rotors and the brake pads were replaced about a year ago. This is a 99 XJ model 30 front end with about 86,000 miles. The rotors are composite and the pads are probably not the best ones available. They are O'riley's cheapies.

The u-joints on both sides are new less than 1,000 miles. The ring gear and pinion look good.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

You didn't mention if it is associated with 4 wheel drive or not. Mine started last dec, in 4 wheel drive only. It had been driving me nuts. Got to the point it sounded like a roller coaster chain on the first hill climb. I redid the drive shaft, all u-joints. checked the hubs, replaced axle ujoints and last week tore the t-case apart. Didn't find anything wrong with the T-case. Put it all back together and it still sounded like a roller coaster. Pulled the drive shaft yet again, and replaced the center U-joint holder. Sure enough that was it. It was the front drive shaft all along. Really pissed me off. But glad to have it working.
So if it's associated to 4 wheel drive, I would start woth the drive shaft. If not, might be the brake dust plates are bent.

Back