• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strength of AW4 vs Manual trans

profonde

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,
I am an an off-road racer from Turkey. And planing to race a 92 XJ next season, but have some questions for you regarding the trany. First let me explain you the race concept here. we don't have any kind of rock crawling here. The concept is more like a rally so it might be fast and some times slow(you have to go over steep bumps). The problem with the automatic trany is when you jump over a bump the trany gets all the force from the ground and thus breaks. With the manual trans you can press the clutch pedal so there won't be any problems. My friend got an 2004 TJ an he broke his auto trany in the race but they say its a different auto trany is it? and people say AW 4 is way stronger than it. So here is the questions

1- I got an extra 2.4 L KJ manual trans do u think i should swap it, Maybe AW4 is stronger what you think? i also heard the clutch is not strong in tis trany what you think?

2- AX15 is the ultimate choice but its realy expensive to get it here, are there any parts available to make the AW4 any stronger? I also plan to put 4.56 or 4.86 gears so it might take some of the force from the trans.

3- Are there any of you guys breaking the AW4? I am planing to put 31s by the way

Your help would realy be appreciated(not easy to find info here unf..)

Thanks

The AW-4 is the strongest, most durable transmission ever factory installed in an XJ/TJ/ZJ/or MJ. They have far greater torque capacity than any of the manuals, and will last longer than the manuals under constant high torque loads.

Your problems does not sound like a torque over-load problem, however, it sounds like a mounting issue. Are you saying that the transmission case actually cracks upon landing?

The Aisin Warner can handle about 450rwhp thats all I know, lol.

Most auto Supra guys take their AW4s to a place called Boost Logic and they build AW4s that can handle 700+rwhp.

Not the case, inside the case, planet gears gets destroyed etc because of the sudden torque loading when the car lands after a jump etc.With the manual tranny you can eliminate the torque reaching the trany using the clutch. Anyway if you say its far better than others i ll try it for the first race. But how can i make it even stronger??

You can get Brett's manual controller so you can keep the torque converter from locking, thus eliminating shocks loads. Most of our JeepSpeed racers here use AW4's, with good result. In short, it's not a problem.

Keeping the correct fluid cool and clean is the most important part of the AW-4. Old, dirty fluid eats them alive.

profonde said:
Not the case, inside the case, planet gears gets destroyed etc because of the sudden torque loading when the car lands after a jump etc.With the manual tranny you can eliminate the torque reaching the trany using the clutch. Anyway if you say its far better than others i ll try it for the first race. But how can i make it even stronger??

http://www.boostlogic.com/parts_supra.html

Looking at $1800 for an upgraded AW4.

profonde said:

Throw it into neutral while your in the air!!!
:roflmao:

CRASH said:
You can get Brett's manual controller so you can keep the torque converter from locking, thus eliminating shocks loads.

Interesting idea for this app!

Use Brett's controller to unlock the TCC and stick it in neutral... Hook it up toa "dummy" clutch pedal. Would basically be the same functionality and usability as a real manual.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. BrettM (on this board) manualmatic shifter.

Search term = BrettM.

profonde said:
is it the same as BM offers? which are called shifters?

B&M does not have anything for the AW4 (IIRC).

The AW-4 is electronically shifted, so you must use an electronic controller to shift it, hence Brett's neat idea.

There are some tricks to improve line pressure, shift firmness and lock-up overlap, but they generally require a rebuild. Level 10 is another fine shop for th e AW-4.

As CRASH mentioned, JeepSpeed racers have been using the AW4 with great success, so I don't think landings are going to hurt it. I wouldn't bother even upgrading the internals if you're running a 4.0. What I would recommend adding is a good tranny cooler and my shifter. Heat kills autos, so keep it cool. I can also see how a locked torque convertor would transfer more shock-loads, so you can unlock the convertor with my shifter, as well as having complete control over your shift points.

If you wait just a couple weeks I'll have my new model ready, which is really what I've been wanting from the beginning; a shifter that works on 2 momentary inputs (upshift/downshift) with a variety of pushbuttons, single axis joysticks, and paddle shifters available. There will also be 2 on/off switches, one for selecting auto or manual and one for torque convertor lock. There will also be 4 LED indicator lights to show you which gear you are in.

Brett whats your webpage?

Back