• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

36's on 7" with stock axles n new gears

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
hey i was lookin at buyin a set of 36s for cheap. im givin my 5" a 2" boost and will be sittin at around 7" without any long arm set up.
i wanted the nice tire height and am going to trim the **** out of my fenders, i just wanted to know if 36's would be overkill. i can get them at a decent price so i am really considering it.... but i dont no how well my stock axles will handle it... i dont wanna snap anything, i am upgrading to 4.56 gears and i dont do HARDCORE wheelin but i do do some pretty decent stuff.

if i dont get these ill probably still go with 35s or 34's just wanted to know how well the axles would hold up to these meats thanks guys

94 4 dr 8.25 rear and d 30 front (wanna do the 44 swap but dont have the no how)
27 spline iirc.
thanks guys
travis

rocklandxjer said:
hey i was lookin at buyin a set of 36s for cheap. im givin my 5" a 2" boost and will be sittin at around 7" without any long arm set up.
i wanted the nice tire height and am going to trim the **** out of my fenders, i just wanted to know if 36's would be overkill. i can get them at a decent price so i am really considering it.... but i dont no how well my stock axles will handle it... i dont wanna snap anything, i am upgrading to 4.56 gears and i dont do HARDCORE wheelin but i do do some pretty decent stuff.

if i dont get these ill probably still go with 35s or 34's just wanted to know how well the axles would hold up to these meats thanks guys

94 4 dr 8.25 rear and d 30 front (wanna do the 44 swap but dont have the no how)
27 spline iirc.
thanks guys
travis
If you aren't into hardcore crawling, stick with 33s/34s/35s. Your gears will work better with them, you can keep a lower COG, and you won't really snap anything unless you get crazy with the skinny pedal.

As far as doing a XJ44 rear conversion (if that's what you meant), if you can't simply bolt in the new rear axle, you really don't need to be throwing on 36s. IMO, you should address the short arm problem first - get some DBs or upgrade to LAs.

o, id be able to bolt on an xj 44, but there are none around me, beleive me i would if i could find one anywere....
so 36s would be overkill, like i said, theres some killer mud pits by me, by hardcore i meant like large rocks and huge obstacles like that.
id be runnin into more $$ problems then if i had just gone smaller then huh...

about the long arms, i no about all them hardcore ones use the crossmembers, do the standard long arms, the ones with independant uppers and lowers, still use the crossmember piece, if they do ill just stay small cause i dont have the 1300 for the parts for those kits....

the 4.5" fixed arms would probably be too long.

they may catch on things, but id rather be able to flex and not wander all over the road, IMO. i have radius longarms and love them. i personally would never go over 4.5" with out DB's or longarms.

about what the fact that i dont have drop brackets so i wouldnt f*ing know. im asking a person whose obviously had/has them if they would help as much as long arms would, and if they would catch anything while wheeling. please dont post if your not going to answer or help out, its just disrespectful.

i figured as much, i dont no, maybe ill have to pass up on this offer, by the way its one of the ones in this forum, and just wait till i got all the cash to do it right, man i hate when opportunities arise like this

rocklandxjer said:
just wait till i got all the cash to do it right

icon14.gif

rocklandxjer said:
about what the fact that i dont have drop brackets so i wouldnt f*ing know. im asking a person whose obviously had/has them if they would help as much as long arms would, and if they would catch anything while wheeling. please dont post if your not going to answer or help out, its just disrespectful.
There are many factors that play into flex with short arms with DBs and the different long arm setups (radius being the most popular, then 3 link and 4 link). Search on these different designs then make a decision. A DB setup would retain your 4 link, so the very dumbed down answer to helping out is - yes. You will have more droop, more uptravel, and an overall better ride. You may run into bind and other problems, but that is where the search feature comes into play. Best of luck...

No, about running 36" tires on stock axles. I think its disrespectful to ask this question since a simple 30 second search turns up.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54854&highlight=can+I+run+36+inch+tires+on+stock+axles

and

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4038&highlight=36+inch+tires+stock+axles

I could've found more, but I limited myself to 30 seconds to prove a point.

I've seen someone running that combo and they went around every obstacle I went over. You could do it, and it could last a while, or a very short time. It's a little silly for someone who has been around here for a while to ask something that newbies pop in and ask as their first question when they've never heard of the search function, or just paid attention and seen the axle tech threads.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80708

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...xles+for+rocks

just to let you in on the secret when you KNOW something its spelled know not NO .second you really need to do some searching and research before just jumping up to 36's .as for long arms and drop brackets.if all you do is mudding what do you have to worry about hanging up on if you were to use drop brackets.

for the person that thinks Rustys puts out a longer arm for their 4.5 lift then saya 3.5 or anything else i seriously doubt it.they would most likely work with drop brackets.

the other reason to go with drop brackets is to bring your arms down some and as level to the ground as possible to get rid of the horrible ride the occurs the more they go vertical to the ground.

as for your axles they won't last above a 35" tire even in mud you are going to start to strain the shafts.stick with what you have and enjoy it stop thinking tall is cool .unless the only thing you do is mall crawl

thanks, that was actually what i was looking for, very informative, i know know is spelt like that lol its shorthand...
no i was lookin at the forum and there is reall good deal for 36's so i just wanted to know if i could run em with my axles
the control arms just came up

Wil Badger said:
for the person that thinks Rustys puts out a longer arm for their 4.5 lift then saya 3.5 or anything else i seriously doubt it.they would most likely work with drop brackets.
thats why i said 'probably', probable, not certain. only way to know is measure or call them. they also have the huge bend in them. thats why i chimed in. no one else thought i knew the real answer

Back