• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

piston tops

gourdoster

NAXJA Forum User
I recently pulled the head and found all the tops of the pistons were dented.Like somthing had bounced around.There were no markes on the head.Was wondering what might of been the cause.:explosion

AMC242 pistons have "D"-shaped dishes in the deck, probably to reduce overall compression ratio with the high displacement. They are also quench complaint (meaning that slightly higher compression is possible with low-octane fuel than normally doable.)

You should note regular and consistent "D"-shaped depressions in all six piston tops. The use of truly "flat" piston crowns in automotive engines is increasingly rare - I think the last time I saw a flat pison it was in a powerplant for a LeRoi industrial air compressor.

5-90

It had a blown head gasket there was water seeping into cylinders.The one thats at top was dinged by spark plug breaking off but don't know about the others.

Back