• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

23 Gallon Fuel Tank

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
What type of Cherokee would I need to find in a junk yard to get a 23 gallon tank off of, and how would I know what it looks like(that I am getting a 23 gallon one)? Mine is I belive a 19 gallon and I could definately use the extra 4 gallons for spare. What are the thoughts??

Jeff

I have seen just recently this being an option on some XJ's. Just need to know what I am looking for.

Jeff

I stand corrected. It was a 23.5 out of an MJ-would this tank work on the XJ or is the setup completely different? Thanks for the correction Red.

Jeff

ihscoutlover said:
I stand corrected. It was a 23.5 out of an MJ-would this tank work on the XJ or is the setup completely different? Thanks for the correction Red.

Jeff
completely different.
The MJ tank is mounted lengthwise along a frame rail under the bed.
The XJ tank is mounted laterally between the rails at the rear.

There might be somebody out there that makes an aftermarket tank that holds around 30 gallons, but that will cost you dearly, and to fill it another 30 bucks. For all that it would cost, I dont think it would be worth it.Try a 5 gal. jerry can on the outside of your rig.

red91inWA said:
nope...options were 13, and 20 gallon.
well that explains that. i always wondered why my xj only got about 300kms on a tank of gas and cost me about 50.00 canadian to fill. when my buddies 89 gets the same amout of kms on a tank but costs him about 70.00 canadian to fill.

hehehe i should really look into getting that bigger tank.

xjgrn said:
There might be somebody out there that makes an aftermarket tank that holds around 30 gallons, but that will cost you dearly, and to fill it another 30 bucks. For all that it would cost, I dont think it would be worth it.

Duh.

A 50% bigger tank will indeed cost 50% more to fill. But it will LAST 50% LONGER before you need to fill it again!

My XJ goes three workdays on a tankful. Bigger tanks are certainly something that would go a long ways toward making things more bearable!

My Honda can go six days. That's a HUGE difference in the "annoyance" of refilling!

If you only drive 100 miles a week, I can see it not being a problem...

Den

DenLip said:
Duh.

A 50% bigger tank will indeed cost 50% more to fill. But it will LAST 50% LONGER before you need to fill it again!

My XJ goes three workdays on a tankful. Bigger tanks are certainly something that would go a long ways toward making things more bearable!

My Honda can go six days. That's a HUGE difference in the "annoyance" of refilling!

If you only drive 100 miles a week, I can see it not being a problem...

Den

My late, lamented Mercedes 240D (tinworm et it up after only 28 Vermont winters! :bawl:) went over 700 miles on a tankful.

On a similar note, my MJ is getting a dual tank (other one from an XJ) setup with another tank where the spare used to be for trips. I can pull it out for regular day to day driving.

Back