• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the 242 a 'bad' tcase?

condoor

NAXJA Forum User
I tried finding this with the search but didn't come up with much.

I'm looking at a used XJ that has a 242 in it and I'm confused as to the merits of this case. I've seen people swap these cases out in favor of the 231, but I've also seen people swap these cases 'in' in place of the 249.

I'm planning on running 31s out of the gate, and potentially going to 33s down the road, but no chance of going bigger than that. I'm planning on doing a 3.5" lift and a SYE/DS as well.

thx-

the main difference is the 242 has a full time 4wd option to allow using 4wd all the time for substandard DD conditions, there also aren't any HD SYE options for the 242, only hack-n-tap, which is not really a problem in my experiences. A matter of preference really.

33s soon to be 35s with 242. I will eventually go with a 2 speed STAK case though.

cLAYH said:
I swapped out the NP231 for a 242, I like the full time option when running on snowy streets or gravel roads. Helps keep the locked rear end from kicking out the 36" tires.

see, and i went the other way....from a 242 to a 231. not because i had any problems with the 242, but i wanted to runa flat belly skid, so i needed the smaller case. plus the addition of the 2LO kit was nice, too.

I cratered a 242 a couple of years ago.
Broke the shaft at the speedo splines.
So, I rebuilt it and made a fixed yoke.
I've beaten the HELL out of it ever since and not so much as a whimper.

The loss of (a bit) of ground clearance -and availability of 'flat' skid plates- is the biggest drawback of the 242. I have had good luck with mine...

My full time was really nice last night in the downpour we got here in eastern NC. Doesn't feel like I'm going to hydroplane all over the road.

Sorry to hijack but what's the difference between full time 4WD and 4HI?

4HI is a 50-50 power split front and rear, where as with the full time position on the NP242 the split is 52% Rear - 48% front, which permits you to run in 4wd on all surfaces without experiencing bind up

heeperman said:
4HI is a 50-50 power split front and rear, where as with the full time position on the NP242 the split is 52% Rear - 48% front, which permits you to run in 4wd on all surfaces without experiencing bind up
How is that accomplished?
Internal clutches?

woody said:
The loss of (a bit) of ground clearance -and availability of 'flat' skid plates- is the biggest drawback of the 242. I have had good luck with mine...

TNT Customs Bellypan, yeah its lower than the 231 version, but its still a flat belly pan.

i had a 242 in my cherokee and beat the snot out of it , than when i blew it up i went with a 231 because i could get one alot cheeper

maineiac said:
i had a 242 in my cherokee and beat the snot out of it , than when i blew it up i went with a 231 because i could get one alot cheeper

That's odd. they practically give them away around here (~$100).

Skullvarian said:
the main difference is the 242 has a full time 4wd option to allow using 4wd all the time for substandard DD conditions, there also aren't any HD SYE options for the 242, only hack-n-tap, which is not really a problem in my experiences. A matter of preference really.

You can get an sye with a yolk for the 242 as part of a combination of Tom Woods rear ds. Uses the yolk off a d300. Comes to $500 after $400 core.

GOTO

http://www.redrock4x4.com/shop/products/259.html

condoor said:
I tried finding this with the search but didn't come up with much.

I'm looking at a used XJ that has a 242 in it and I'm confused as to the merits of this case. I've seen people swap these cases out in favor of the 231, but I've also seen people swap these cases 'in' in place of the 249.

I'm planning on running 31s out of the gate, and potentially going to 33s down the road, but no chance of going bigger than that. I'm planning on doing a 3.5" lift and a SYE/DS as well.

thx-

This from a OEM thread..

XgeekstarX said:
last time i checked it was good for 1486ft/lbs.

from 4wheeloffroad.com:

NP242

Type: Part-time/ full-time, aluminum, chaindriven case

Low range: 2.72:1

Applications: ’98-present Dodge Durangos and Dakotas, Hummers, and ’87-present Jeep Cherokees

If you have an NP242 in you truck, keep it! Stop sending us letters asking how you can swap in an NP231 because we don’t want you doing it. The NP242 is a better case and it gives you more choices when it comes to routing power to the wheels. The NP242 HD is stronger than the NP231, and you can get slip-yoke eliminator kits and lower low-range gears for it just like an NP231. If it makes you feel better, take pride in knowing that AM General uses its own version of this case called the “NVG242 HD AMG.” It is rated for the 11,500-pound GVW of the Hummer. Of course it is way cooler than the version in your Cherokee because it has an external transfer case oil cooler. We’ll let you know when we come up with a way to retrofit it to other cases.

Back