• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle vent

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, as I was crawling under my jeep on Sat I realized that my rear axle vent is still going to the same place in the frame as it did when it came out of the factory. OK, I thought, no big deal: I'll run a new rubber hose and be done with it. But..... where do I run the damn thing? Up front I ran it into the engine bay, what about the rear? Where do I run it up to? I'm actually kind of considering coming up out by the bumper and going up along the hatch upwards (not that I need to go up to the roofrack, but if I don't it seems that I won't really have any room to mount a small fuel filter or something).

So any other creative solutions? Oh yeah, I did consider taking it "inside" but I don't want to do it as that would introduce yet another "leak" into the cab.

what about putting a fitting in the bottom of the tail light housing and plugging it in there? the light housing is vented and its still outside the vehicle and high enough that it would be an inprovement over the frame rail location..
first thing that came to mind.. with more though it may have a down-side...

sidriptide said:
what about putting a fitting in the bottom of the tail light housing and plugging it in there? the light housing is vented and its still outside the vehicle and high enough that it would be an inprovement over the frame rail location..
first thing that came to mind.. with more though it may have a down-side...
Well my taillight housings are no longer what you'd call stock and running a filter there might not work out too good (had to drill drain holes in them last year to drain overfilled blinker fluid after a trail run ;) )

I have a write up on it but ran them all to the top of the firewall.

Breather%20042.jpg

www.gojeep-xj.info

I think there is a body plug near the frame rail that you could go thru and that comes up inside the panel behind the spare tire mount.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
I think there is a body plug near the frame rail that you could go thru and that comes up inside the panel behind the spare tire mount.
Wayne
That is if you don't mind the smell of diff fluid. Especially if you have a Trac-loc or any clutched diff. Good ole cat piss smell:passgas:
That gas cap idea is one I may have to check out. I got water in the diff a month ago the day after putting in my new Dana 44 w/Detroit. Man was I pissed.

Time to stop giving that piece of advice.:shocked:
Wayne

boise49ers said:
That is if you don't mind the smell of diff fluid. Especially if you have a Trac-loc or any clutched diff. Good ole cat piss smell:passgas:
That gas cap idea is one I may have to check out. I got water in the diff a month ago the day after putting in my new Dana 44 w/Detroit. Man was I pissed.

I ran mine through the frame where the gas tank filler hose is. Through the spring mount through the holes that are there. Up the side of the hatch and around the hatch bumper so it isn't pointing up.

Back