• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to make larger alternator fit?

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 165 amp alternator on ebay under the false assumption that it would bolt right in. :rolleyes: As it turns out, the alternator is a bit fater than the stocker in my '96. This means the bottom bolt doesn't quite line up, it's about 1/8" off. I have read in the past about people using larger alternators from Grand Cherokees, and various modifications needed to make them fit.

I've been grinding down the bracket, and that has helped considerably, BUT, it still doesn't quite fit and I don't think I'm comfortable removing anymore metal. Can anyone that has done this mod tell me exactly what they needed to do to make it fit? I'm thinking about drilling the hole in the bracket a little bigger, but I'm not sure if that would give me enough room or not...

I pulled out the bracket inserted one bolttried to insert the other and outlined the edge with a shapie marker. I used a die grinder and in about a hour I was done.

I put my bracket on a mill and went crazy. Not sure if your bracket is the same as mine, but here's how it looked when done...

alt3.jpg

gotta get that bracket out and just keep grinding till it fits and also make sure the pulleys are the same size as stock, if not a 24 mm impact is the only way to get it off

Thanks for the pic, that should help alot. :)

I started to take the bracket off and when I removed the lowest bolt on the block I was surprised to find motor oil coming out. Fresh clean oil out of my crankcase dripping out. Is that supposed to happen? :eek:

Got it in, FINALLY. Wouldn't you know it...now the wiring "thing" that bolts to the alternator won't fit. :rolleyes: There are two terminals in the center, and then two ground connections on the outside, correct? One of the ground connections won't fit, is one enough?

Nevermind, I cut a chunk out of it to make it fit. And it works! Solid 14 volts with every electrical device running on high! Now I don't have to recharge the Jeep before I can go somewhere! :D

Thanks for the help everyone!

Back