• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RK rear brake line

thobson

NAXJA Forum User
I went to install my rear brake line from RK today and the bango screw did not fit through the hole in the new brake lines for it, it was way to small has anyone else had this problem I searched and couldnt find much. Also does another company make a rear brake line that forms to the axle like the stock one does or are they all flat on the bottom and not curved?

sounds like an 8.25" rear axle... i have had the same problem with RE rear lines and i just take a small round file and open up the hole a little. the vent tube that goes thru it has "pipe" threads on it so it is tapered and it seals itself.. RTV might not be a bad idea but not neccesary unless you dont think it is tight enough..

SO that tube that goes through is not a banjo valve that has fluid in it? Also I"m worried that if I file it down or grind a little out it could create a small fractor that I wount be able to really see and then if it breaks I will really have a problem. Can someone explain to me more in depth what the vent deal is that runs through the middle and what would happen if it wasn't connected? and yes it is an 8.25. Any companies make lines for the 8.25?

thobson said:
SO that tube that goes through is not a banjo valve that has fluid in it? Also I"m worried that if I file it down or grind a little out it could create a small fractor that I wount be able to really see and then if it breaks I will really have a problem. Can someone explain to me more in depth what the vent deal is that runs through the middle and what would happen if it wasn't connected? and yes it is an 8.25. Any companies make lines for the 8.25?
96 Dodge Dakota,good to at least 6" of lift(direct replacement).

The vent is for the axle tube--keeps pressure from developing inside when the oil heats up. You want to have it connected so differential oil doesn't leak out and water doesn't leak in. That's why there's a long rubber tube connected to it that runs up to the frame. Using a hollow bolt to mount the brake line to the housing is just a way of cutting down on bolts and holes. I just bought an RE rear line for a TJ to fit on my rear D44 XJ--it has a curved surface to fit the axle.

What year is your XJ? I put the RK lines last summer and the vent tube fit with the rear brake line, except for that rounding to fit around the axle tube. I just put some RTV around it to close up any possible gaps, which I don't think there are any.

I have a 95 xj. I spoke with the guys at RK today and they don't know why it doesn't fit but suggetsted making a bracket. I could so somthing like take a recatngular peice of metal and drill two holes in it one for the brake bracket to be mounted and the other for the vent screw to fit inside, does anyone think this would be a safe and resonable route to take?

Back