• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving through water x-ings its bad to do, huh?

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
I was doing some work to my Jeep this weekend and was checking out the axel shafts. There is only a little piece of plastic on the axel shaft that prevents dirt and sand from getting inside of the axel tube. Its on there pretty tight and you can slide it back and forth on the shaft. My question is when going into water doesen't water flow right into your axel tube and then into your pumpkin? Why would you go through water, because water in the differential fluid will kill it. Is there some sort of condom that they make for the shaft? I like to use protection.

:bs:

The axle shaft seals on a D-30 are at the center-section, water can get up into the tubes but it will drain back out, the seals keep debris and water out of the differential. Someone makes another type seal that goes at the ends of the tubes but I've never installed them on any of the D-30's that I've done gear swaps on.

fdsa487 said:
My question is when going into water doesen't water flow right into your axel tube and then into your pumpkin?

There is an inner axle seal.
Alloy USA, Superior, etc... make an aluminum outer axle seal to keep crud out of the tubes. I have these ones from Alloy USA. Seem to work fine so far.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52420_910.htm

On a disconnect D30 you have two seals to prevent water or mud or any other foreign matter from getting into the diff. One seal will be where the diff meets the tube on the drivers side. The other will be just outside of the disconnect. Both are not the easiest to replace but can be done. I just did mine a few weeks ago.

Ronbo said:
There is an inner axle seal.
Alloy USA, Superior, etc... make an aluminum outer axle seal to keep crud out of the tubes. I have these ones from Alloy USA. Seem to work fine so far.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52420_910.htm

I wish I would have known about those before I just spent all day Saturday replacing the u joints and ball joints when I had the axel shafts out. They should make them in rubber so you can stretch them around the axel shafts and then tighten... Hmmm actually I can make somethink like that myself with some fat rubber tubing and hose clamp.:)

BTW I have a 2000 D30 so its not a vacuum disconnect. Actually I dont even really know the difference because I have never worked on anything older than a 99. WTH is a frekin vacuum disconnect anyways. Im assuming the newer D30 that I have is better because its a newer style, but I could be wrong.

So theoretically im ok with out having seals on the outer tubes because there are inner seals that should be in good condition.

Last edited:
Is it bad, sure is but it's up to you if you can afford the extra maintenance costs.
If it's your DD and only way to get to work stay out of the water.

If you're not leaking diff oil out of the end, you won't get water/debris into the differential. No reason to change the inner oil seal.

FWIW, a vacuum disconnect is a lot like a one speed gear shift fork that conects and disconnects the right side axle. It's controlled by a vacuum switch on the transfer case. The diaphragm on the shifter eventually goes bad, usually because its oil soaked. Voila, no 4WD. One cure is to flip the housing with the shift fork locked in gear, essentially making it a complicated driect drive like yours. Some put manual cables on that allow the option of 2WL for turning in very tight quarters. It keeps the front axle from pulling off the precise line when trying to avoid rocks or trees.

Generally the way water gets in a good seal is with hot diffs then going into water and sitting, the temp difference between the hot diff/axles and cold water will suck the water in past the seals, generally only happens if you stop and sit or park there though, it's not fast...

DaffyXJ said:
If you're not leaking diff oil out of the end, you won't get water/debris into the differential. No reason to change the inner oil seal.
Yes you can, seals are designed to keep fluid in not water out.
There also open vents water can enter if your in deep enough.

DaffyXJ said:
Sorry , but that isn't true. Those seals are made to keep fluid in the axles. I just had my Dana 44 built by My Nephew who works at Kroyer Racing in Las Vegas. They set up diffs and trannies for all the Big Name racers at the Baja 500 and 1000. He told me that and sure enough the day after we installed the new axle I forded a creek that was pretty shallow for a few years now , but after the heavy rains it is not any more. I got water in both diffs and neither leaks. So basically what he told me could happen, did happen. I didn't get a lot , but there was enough to foam it a little. So the day after putting new fluid in it, I had to drain it and put in more.

With those add on axle seals, dont some of them have a grease seal??
Like they used to use on old schol boats to keep the water from coming in the prop shaft,,,,like a bunch of rope and grease in a box.

I did read one MFGs warning that it didnt keep out water, just larger debris....with drain holes for water to escape

bajacalal said:
Are you sure the water diddn't get in through the axle vents, instead of the shaft seals.

BTW, where locally are there any water crossings right now? Please, do tell.
It probably was the vent hose as the main colprit, but still if some one from the attached facility tells me they will leak I believe them. Jeremy my nephew and his business partner work with in Kroyers and do the diffs and trannies on the Larry Ragland and Brian Collins trucks plus quite a few more. Those 2 are the only names I know though. If you know Baja you know those are 2 of the top racers. Jeremy actually started work with Brain, then him and Barry Singleton ventured on their own to start Gearworks. Nascar has been talking to them lately also. Guess what I'm rambling about , is I will trust what I'm hearing from these fella's :cheers:
Oh yeah that water crossing I'm talking about is 20 miles North of Boise Idaho. You're welcome to come try it.:eeks1: Just PM me :)
On the serious side isn't there some at Big Bear. Jeremy's Dad lives in 29 and they go up there all the time.
http://kroyerracing.com/

Last edited:
Back