• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for My First XJ!

tgorc

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to the world of XJ's....I just sold my modified TJ and am looking to find information on used XJ's. If anyone could post some links for sites that may have information on VIN#s codes and the "better years" of XJ's to buy as a good base for a trail vech. I know certian years came with a D44 rear, and at some point the 4.0 recieved fuel injection, etc..... Thanks in advance for the help and direction.

4.0 was always FI in the cherokee, d-44's only offered in early models, Early models had Renix fuel injection sys. later models have HO sys. Best model is based on personal opinion, but I love the 96, 97 and 98.

Reasons are high pinion, non disconnect d-30, available 29 spline chryco 8.25 axle and OBD II diagnostics.

NP 231 is better (again in my opinion) for trail use, and 242 is better for DD.

Using the search feature will reveal more information than you could ever sort through.

Welcome.

I own 4 90',95',96', and 00'. I like them all but my 96' is my favorite for the same reasons that "goodbourbon" stated. All 4 are 4.0, Aw4, 231 equipped. I'm still learning about the RENIX(87-90) models and they are growing on me due to the fact that they are more "do-it-yourself" friendly on diagnosis. Personnaly I feel that you can't go wrong with a XJ as long as its a 4.0L. If you are going to wheel it heavy you will change a good bit of everthing else anyway.

wikipeeediaa.
like xjtrailrider said. long as its a 4.0 its good. renix is nice as well cause the computer doesnt remember anything so it resets with the ignition, no hassles with codes like the OBD xjs.
wiki has lots of info.

I own the first year of 4.0 and love it 1987 still A.M.C. Not a Chrysler!! Try to find Ex-Government vehicle. My VIN revealed limited edition. Yeah real limited, no extras. Not even a rear wiper, A.M. F.M. only, but also has steel gas tank skid, D44, this one puzzles me NP231 in my 87' but wasn't avail until 88', and already set for high altitude and 2 door

i have a 2000 that recently was lifted 3" and has 31's.....have considered parting with it, if you make a tempting offer i could make your introduction to xj's easier

I personally like the '93-94's they are in between the good and better, and they are optioned well-i.e. 4.0 HO engine, AW4, or AX-15, D30 non disco, and sometimes a D44 although very rare, and I think really look the best. I guess I am a little impartial since mine is a '94. I think that year is the best, but don't judge it all cause of this. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Jeff

I think 91' and later for stock HP and more ways to increase, but I've never had to work on one.

Back