• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge Cluster Swap Problems

kooters94yj

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search a found a few related threads but nothing that really addressed my specific problems. I'll start by saying I have a 96 XJ 2wd 2.5L that is my DD. I was at the junkyard today and found a new gauge cluster to replace the crappy one I have. Swapping out the clusters went very easy. Everything seemed to work except the temp gauge and the oil pressure. I went to the store and picked up new sending units for both. Thats when my problems began. The temp sending unit broke off flush with the head. I guess I'll try an easy out to remove it? Any other suggestions?

Anyone know the size of the oil press sending unit? Its in a really tight spot next just up and forward of the filter. Is there any tricks to getting it out?

Thanks!

Instead of an easy out I'd try a reverse drill first, smaller than the fitting, you may get lucky and it will start backing out once the drill starts. Every time I have used an easy out the damn thing breaks. Once you get it drilled you can start going progressivly bigger and bigger then tap it.

Luckily or unluckily depending on how you look at it, the sensor base that is still in the block is made of brass so its pretty soft. I doubt an easy will break in brass but I guess its possible. Thanks for the tip on a reverse drill bit. I might have to give that a shot.

How about splicing into the sender wires on the t-stat housing? Could I do that instead of trying to get this broken piece out of the back of the head? Is there another suitable location to put the sender for the gauge?

kooters94yj said:
I did a search a found a few related threads but nothing that really addressed my specific problems. I'll start by saying I have a 96 XJ 2wd 2.5L that is my DD. I was at the junkyard today and found a new gauge cluster to replace the crappy one I have. Swapping out the clusters went very easy. Everything seemed to work except the temp gauge and the oil pressure. I went to the store and picked up new sending units for both. Thats when my problems began. The temp sending unit broke off flush with the head. I guess I'll try an easy out to remove it? Any other suggestions?

Anyone know the size of the oil press sending unit? Its in a really tight spot next just up and forward of the filter. Is there any tricks to getting it out?

Thanks!

i came accross this thread while searching for a gauge swap for the 2.5 liter. my DD is going to be a 96 4cy 2wd 5 speed, and i want to rid myself of the idiot lights. did you get this worked out yet? did your cluster come from a 2.5 or a 4.0? will the 4.0 tach work with the 2.5? thanks!

kooters94yj said:
How about splicing into the sender wires on the t-stat housing? Could I do that instead of trying to get this broken piece out of the back of the head? Is there another suitable location to put the sender for the gauge?

No, I think that sender is electrically different. Keep drilling. For the oil pressure sender, it shouldn"t be too difficult, because the threads are less likely to seize with oil. It usually isn"t so tight.

(What the **** makes Firefox suddenly and unpredictably think an apostrophe in a post is a code to start a search? Only happens intermittently, but then I have to substitute quotation marks. annoying.)

Back