• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How the heck do I get the alternator out?

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
I'm finally replacing the alternator in my '96 which has been working off and on for the past few months. I've got the damn thing completely unbolted, but I can't seem to find an opening big enough to yank it out of. Can anybody tell me how it needs to be positioned and where to pull it out?

I guess it would fit if I took off the alternator bracket, but I really don't want to do that. Is it possible to pull it out without taking off the bracket?

It'll drop down without taking off the bracket. If you face the pulley down and pull it out from below, you have to maneuver it a little bit, but a little patience and you'll get it out.

Dave

That's what I've been trying all day. It simply will not fit between the bracket and the frame. Is your experience with a '90 as your name suggests? The alternator/bracket are different in a '90...

Any other suggestions? I'm still trying, and trying, and trying, and trying, and trying and trying...it just won't fit.

I replaced mine on the trail two weeks ago with basic hand tools and and the way I got mine out was I took off the belt driven fan and the bracket right infront of the alternator and then it came out the top

p.s. i like run on sentences

Wow said:
Any other suggestions? I'm still trying, and trying, and trying, and trying, and trying and trying...it just won't fit.

i have a 91 4.0 with a/c. after hours and hours i pulled it out from the top by ramming my radiator hose out of the way and ripping the damn thing out. make sure all the electrical is off the alt. dont worry bout it youll get it.

It's out! :D I pulled the fan and shroud and it just fell right out. I think all the cold beer and cussing helped. :)

Now, does anybody know the name of the guy who decided to put the alternator on the bottom? I would really like to hunt him down and beat him to death with my alternator...................................

Wow said:
Now, does anybody know the name of the guy who decided to put the alternator on the bottom? I would really like to hunt him down and beat him to death with my alternator...................................

I heard it was a French dude.

Back