• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 and 33s?

atreyuBLUEXJ

NAXJA Forum User
so the sticky post says only to do 4.88 with 35s, but if you have a mountain rig and a trailer then the 4.88 would be good for offroad use only...

i have 33s.
just got a 44.
maybe 35s in the future.
i was wondering if 4.88s on an about 50%trail50%DD (i have a honda also) with 33s would be ok.
(if not ill do 4.56 like suggested)

i do have an auto! so i will!

p.s. ,brett, i know ive said it before, but the graduation money is flowin! so ill prob order the shifter within the next week!

i just recently put 4.88's in my 44/30 and it is awesome!
i dont know how fast i go but i can tell you that my my gauge reads "85"mph i run about 3,000-3,500 rpm's i dont know fast im actually going but prolly somewhere round 70 or a little less. right now my gas milage is horrible because i have too much fun getting thrown into the back of my seat when i use my heavy foot :D
its an auto

Shomsky462 said:
i dont know how fast i go but i can tell you that my my gauge reads "85"mph i run about 3,000-3,500 rpm's i dont know fast im actually going but prolly somewhere round 70 or a little less. right now my gas milage is horrible because i have too much fun getting thrown into the back of my seat when i use my heavy foot :D
its an auto
a new speedo gear is under $10 at the dealer

4.88s on 33 BFGs - and it rocks.

Shomsky462 said:
its an auto

If memory serves me right I do about 3,250rpm at 65mph with 4.88 and 33"

I was in the same boat as the original poster, I had a Dana 44 going in, and 33" tires going on and wanted to gear it but wanted to be able to go to 35" tires in the future if I so choose. No regrets going to 4.88 so far, my only concern is I will be disappointed with the power loss if I ever do go to 35's!

FiFo said:
If memory serves me right I do about 3,250rpm at 65mph with 4.88 and 33"

I was in the same boat as the original poster, I had a Dana 44 going in, and 33" tires going on and wanted to gear it but wanted to be able to go to 35" tires in the future if I so choose. No regrets going to 4.88 so far, my only concern is I will be disappointed with the power loss if I ever do go to 35's!
with an overdrive? auto tranny? is your convertor locking? that's way too high. A calculator says you should be around 2400 (.75od, 4.88s, 33s, 65mph), and that's about what I've experienced.

BrettM said:
with an overdrive? auto tranny? is your convertor locking? that's way too high. A calculator says you should be around 2400 (.75od, 4.88s, 33s, 65mph), and that's about what I've experienced.

2400, 3400 whats a few hundred RPM between friends.

Ya, I was wrong now that I think about it, I need to go wheeling.

BrettM said:
a few is 3-5, not 10. and who said we're friends?

:laugh3:
who has a spare set of 4,88 for the D30 and D44 they want to have disapear for cheap?

P.S. i did :kissyou:

BrettM said:
a few is 3-5, not 10. and who said we're friends?
:shocked:

sign_owned02.jpg

:D

2000 xj with aw4 and I run 75mph at about 2800-2900 rpm.
I get 15mpg with a heavy foot.
My speedo is calibrated as well.

IntrepidXJ said:
i run 4.88's with 33's

i like it....and am glad i went with 4.88's

i know there are quite a few others who run the same setup as well

As one of quite a few others, I agree.

I used to have 4:88 and 32s, 5spd. I liked that combo alot for the trail, Highway speeds kinda sucked. I have 5:13 with 35s now, wish I did 5:38s

Back